Cleaning/Flushing out motor.

JRay77

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Alright guys, what's the best way to clean the inside of my crankcase? I have the jugs off and the rods and pistons sticking up out of the cases. Getting ready to install a big bore kit. What would be the best way to clean the crankcase of any debris? Kerosene? Remove the oil pan and sump filter right? The sump filter is new. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If it were still together and running, 1and 1/2 quarts of oil and half qt of kerosene rand fir a few miles would do wonders, but now that its apart, scubbing with kerosene is messy and one if many ways.

I guess you could take the sump filter off the sump plate, reinstall the sump plate and drain plugs. Put some Kero in there and slosh it around and drain out.Do it a few times till what comes out looks clean. When you pull the jugs it's best to stuuf rags around the rods to plug the holes in the case. That way nothing gets in to have to clean out.
Once together get it running, do the break in with several oils changes at say 50 mile intervals to get the rest out.
Leo

Back