Cleaning motor

section8joe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The bike I bought sat around for years and the motor is kinda corroded and dirty. I want to clean the motor before I paint it. What can I use to clean this baby off? I have the bike completely stripped down except for the carbs and exhaust. I left those on so I don't get any water or cleaner in the cylinders.

Short of soda or media blasting I never found a way to bring back the raw aluminum luster. I rinse iwth aluminum birghter (muriatic acid) pressure wash and paint Duplicolor engine paint usually semigloss black and or aluminum. For the engine side cases I strip with a methylene chloride paint stripper (Home Depot source, no need for hightech aircraft stipper) works in seconds. Then wet sand 320, 400, 600 and use a polishing compund and wheel. Of course a good engine degreaser if you have oil and grease to remove first.

All can be done in day

I had this engine soda blasted top end turned out good but cases came out OK but not great

Attachments

• P1190052.JPG
    P1190052.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 491
  • P1270068.JPG
    P1270068.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 618
You can buy a cheap soda blast gun from Harbor Freight for $20, then go buy some cheap baking soda. I did a V Twin with about 14 boxes of soda, the original owner painted it black so it took a bit to get it all off.

Soda worked great for me. $30 bucks and a clean motor. only clean up was air blow it off, then rinse with water.

I'm going to borrow a blaster from a friend. Can you give me a few tips? how should I plug the exhaust/carb holes in the engine? Can I use it to take rust off chrome? Can I use it on the wheels without removing the tires. I've got some rust on the spokes and rims.

I just picked it up from H F a couple weeks ago so I know they have it, I thought about doing the "home made" blow gun, but for the $24, I went with H F, plus their gun gas an adjustable nozzle to limit flow if the soda. And went to my local Dollar General and bought boxes for .50 each.

I just put rags in the exhaust and intake tracts, then duct tape over them. the soda worked awesome on the motor and I also hit some chrome parts and cleaned then flawlessly without damaging chrome. u actually can blast right over gaskets without damage. I did my S&S carb and looks brand new

What pressure do you guys use when blasting. I have a 27 gallon 5 hp compressor and I can only get it to go up to 120psi. I can use the blaster for a minute or two then I have to wait for it to go back up to 120psi.

Back