1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Clear coat polished forks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vufromlu, Dec 1, 2019 at 5:42 PM.

1. vufromlu

vufromlu XS650 Enthusiast

Yes...also a good idea and comments......Thx so much

2. ReycleBill

ReycleBill Part Time Tyrannicide XS650.com Supporter

After having spent what seemed like hundreds of hours sanding and polishing all the aluminum on my bike to a mirror finish before clear coating a few years ago I truly regret having sprayed it. Maybe someday I will polish it again but clear it will not see.

The only clear I will spray is on the black paint as that has lasted 15 years and is beginning to show some wear.

wrenchjohns, gggGary and Brassneck like this.
  3. vufromlu

vufromlu XS650 Enthusiast

Bill
    That settles it. I fear I will regret it too!
    Your say on his has settled my mind. Thanks for your advice.

ReycleBill likes this.
  4. ReycleBill

ReycleBill Part Time Tyrannicide XS650.com Supporter

That's what we're here for-- to learn from each others' mistakes.

wrenchjohns and gggGary like this.
  5. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty XS650 Guru Top Contributor

How do you keep the wheel hubs polished? Once I cut all the spokes and polish the hubs, I can't get in there to keep it that way. That is what most has me considering POR15 clear. That, and I have positive experience with the product.

6. willis

willis xsive compulsive disorder Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

The painter I just took my side covers to uses POR15 on engine covers and hubs. It lays down nice and is very durable. He’s a professional and been a body/paint man over 35 years.

59Tebo and gggGary like this.
  7. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I don't bother polishing the inner parts of the hubs, just soda or bead blast them clean. I don't see the point in polishing that area because you can't get at it to keep it polished.

timbeck likes this.
  8. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I know that's right! I'm looking at corrosion on my '83 that I've loved since 1983. Those hubs show corrosion and the bike is riding on cast wheels right now. If I restore the wheels, and I'd like to, I'm thinking seriously about the clear coat.