Close Encounters

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Things sometimes get a little strange, up here in the NorthEast, when you're mowing your lawn. You guys down there in Texas and AZ might not recognize what I encountered today, and picked up on my John Deere Body Cam:

I just ate it for dinner :)

Now that I'm retired I've been looking for berserker hors'dourves or something in that vein, cheap vacation.....lol
I did come across some Shaggy Manes. Ate a mess of 'em. Still here.........

Last edited:
Wow, never heard of or seen "giant puffball mushrooms" before. Out here usually only see an occasional poisonous toadstool.

The only large, wild, natural, edible plant out here is the prickly pear cactus. An acquired taste, requires careful handling, like swimming with piranhas...

The only large, wild, natural, edible plant out here is the prickly pear cactus. .
You only think so...you have pine trees...

Not like the eastern rain forest though. My grandmother lived in the country and she'd have a garden every year, but until the garden started producing she would pick wild edible plants around the garden instead.

Years ago when I studied mushrooms, because I did not have and XS, I read that all puff balls are edible. Never eaten one, I just stick to mushrooms.

Saw it alongside a country road near here last fall.
20151021_130653-jpg.58696

Who sez I have a big head?
Geez YamaDude I never thought to go-pro my lawn mowing

I picked up a five pounder puffball some years ago that was growing in the river valley. It'd be nice to have a known recipe that would make them worth eating.
They are a very subtle flavor. I just wipe a bit of butter/margarine on a 1.5" slab and put them on a hot barbie until brown. Delicious. I imagine a pinch of lemon pepper with salt might be good.

Saw it alongside a country road near here last fall.
20151021_130653-jpg.58696

Who sez I have a big head?
Geez YamaDude I never thought to go-pro my lawn mowing
:laugh2:
You never know what you might encounter; leprechauns, pufffballs, or even a newborn white-tailed deer ( three years ago, in the middle of winter ).

Years ago I had an "Observer's Book of common mushrooms"
One page had a photo of the common edible mushroom.
Another page had a photo of the "Death Angel" poisonous mushroom.
You'd swear it was the same photo.
Ever since then, for me at least, edible mushrooms can only be found in the supermarket.

Years ago I had an "Observer's Book of common mushrooms"
One page had a photo of the common edible mushroom.
Another page had a photo of the "Death Angel" poisonous mushroom.
You'd swear it was the same photo.
Ever since then, for me at least, edible mushrooms can only be found in the supermarket.
There was an article in the local newspaper last week that stated something like, "Local Emergency Rooms have been flooded with Mushroom Issues".

Back