Clutch Assembly, Please Help!!! (Urgent)!!!

xscessivecompulsive

Live 2 Ride, Ride 2 Live
Reaction score
Hey guys, so Im replacing my clutch plates and springs and when I tighten down the spring screws they are collapsed all the way! So then when you go to try and use the clutch with lever everything is frozen and wont allow the pressure plate to move!! Any ideas as to whats going on here?? thanks in advance!!!

XsC

Xccessive, I wonder if you have over-tightened the the clutch bolts. Did you torque to the correct level?

If you have torqued correctly, then what do your friction plates measure? I have measured the friction plates I have just taken out and they are 2mm - way below acceptable range, so they've been replaced.

If the plates are good, did you use the correct washer/bearing/spacer stacking sequence - and did you make sure Plate e is in there?

Then I would go on to check if you might not have refitted the clutch pushrod plunger correctly - remember it had to come out to tighten the clutch nut, and the 5/16 bearing might have come out (I removed pushrods and bearings, cleaned and greased before putting back the clutch to keep it together).

Anlaf

Attachments

• CLUTCH RE-ASSEMBLY SCHEMATIC.jpg
    CLUTCH RE-ASSEMBLY SCHEMATIC.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 74
The eway the bolts that hold the springs in against the pressure plate can't collapse the spring completely. They have a shoulder that hits against the bosses on the hub.
If the pressure plate isn't properly aligned then it will bind on the bosses and not go completely in. This may ciase the spring to be overly compressed. The way the teeth on the pressure plate align with the teeth in the hub it can only go one way. It may appear to fit anyway but it won't. If wrong thw holes in the pressure plate wont center over the bosses on the hub.
Leo

I should think that XSLeo is absolutely right. I just put in new clutch springs, and I wonder if you might have tried to force the issue with the tightening-up - the six bolts fastened to different tensions.

Pregid asks what type of clutch set-up do you have. There may be something in the difference he might be able to help you with. My bike is a 79 XS-SF that should have had a seven-friction plate clutch when I opened it up, but it was a six-plate (must have been swapped at some point). I have a donor bike with a seven-plate clutch and there are index marks on both sets. There has to be some indication of how to line up the parts.

I would think indexing is the problem and you were unlucky not to hit it first time - but there are six positions it could be in, and it is not a five minute job. Try and find that marker.

Anlaf

Yes, I don't think that guy is even still on the board, lol.

Back