Clutch cable not fitting

carkom

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just got my bike running from a complete tear down -replaced 5th gear overdrive from mikes re-bore to 1st oversize, etc. (Build thread here).

I know I installed the clutch with all the washers in the right order (new thrust washer from mikes). I didn't scuff or re-oil the plates. I tightened the spring/screws to 6.5 ft. lbs. Have the 3 ball bearings and 2 push rods in the right order.

When I put the left side cover on (clutch adjustment screw all the way backed off just barley catching the first two or three threads) my clutch cable at the handle bar doesn't have enough slack to fit on easily (all adjustments at handles screwed all the way in).

I can force it and pry it on. Once on, the clutch is always engaged. If I try to kick it while in neutral it won't turn the crank at all. I can shift through the gears without pulling the clutch in. When in gear, turning the back wheel does not turn the crank.

Stuck plates? Incorrect installation under right side cover? Something else?

Yeah take that cover off and look around. See if the cable end is properly seated in the bracket on the arm. Arm is in the right set of ramps. The covered adjuster screw should have about 1/4" of thread showing above the nut when it just touches the push rod. Two ball bearings in the ramp?

Thanks Gary, it was a newb mistake...wrong set of ramps. Took the bike around the block, nice to be riding again!

Back