Clutch: hard to pull?

1000478_10200797746739621_474922616_n.jpghttp:
Here's the innerds of the Moose Racing EZ pull device
photo.php

I know what you mean with the hard to pull clutch, I felt that way at first. I have got used to it, now (XSLeo is right), and it is a great deal easier since I put new clutch plates in and lubricated with the plenty of grease in the pushrod area, and the thick stuff in the cable (as 5twins says).

Anlaf

So that's what they look like. In all seriousness how well do these things work? My ez pull cable is great but a lighter clutch would be even better

The moose racing device seem to help a little but I'm using an NOS cable that I lubed but is still offering some good resistance.

I'm thinking at least for us (its the wife's bike) it might be best fixed with a combination of things:
-Moose racing EZ pull device
-New Shorter elbowless EZ pull cable from 650 Central (the moose device adds about 6" to the cable)
-New worm gear setup down by the case with a longer arm
-better cable routing
-Well lubed cable

Praying that all this works...or else we might have to try:
-A different hydraulic setup
-EMF auto clutch (they quoted me $500-600)
-Foot clutch with jockey shift

Has anybody ever tried setting a clutch up like a mountain bike shifter?

On my mtn bike I rotate the left grip to change gears with the cable. Would something like that be safe on a motorcycle? Heck a person could even just reverse a throttle setup to the other side if you had to.

Doing something like this would at least allow you to use the wrist in conjunction with your grip force to pull the clutch.

Looks like you could patent a new design, Capt_Zoom. If you can overcome the resistance with hydraulic, it's a winner. I like it when ideas flow, most get thrown out, but some work and catch on.

Anlaf

The hydraulic worked but eventually puked out. Also no matter how much I adjusted it, it wanted to slip at high RPM. I could still slowly climb to 110mph but if I punched it at say 80 it would just let loose.

My wife is strong but has some arthritis in her hands so I'm trying to think of alternatives. With the throttle style idea I could even incorporate one of those cramp busters if I had to.

Funny but i've been doing so much testing and adjusting with her clutch that I've been neglecting my raider. Took it out for a ride this morning. When I was about to leave I started thinking my clutch had a leak since there was so little resistance. I'm like WTF then I realize that it was just that I was getting used to the super hard pull on the xs.

When Parts arrive next week I'll be trying one of 650central EZ pull handles and also trying a twist clutch setup. Should be interesting to see which works better.

My wife is a biomechanical and motor control expert on the human hand and she mentioned told me that the human hand and wrist would generate far more force than one can with a lever. Plus we could always add a tab onto the grip to act like a cramp buster to provide more leverage. Our figures suggest that with our current clutch setup it'll need about 35-45 degrees of twist to pull the clutch lever in the case.

So, on the biomechanical side it can be done, then, that is interesting, but on the bike-o-mechanical side are you thinking of a twist mechanism transferring at the left-hand case cover to a fitting that pushes the pushrods - as in a twist grip to hydraulic push system?

Anlaf

Hey Capt_Zoom, here's some numbers for you:

I have measured clutch action/movement and forces on my early XS1B, later models will be somewhat different, largely due to different worm-screw arm length.
XS1 clutch lever - 2.5" travel max - 30-35 lbs pull
XS1 clutch cable - .65" travel max - 4:1 leverage ratio = 120-140 lbs cable tension
XS1 clutch worm - .080" travel max - 8:1 leverage ratio, 32:1 total = 960-1120 lbs pushrod pressure
The actual values for force will be somewhat less because some of the actuating force is from friction.
The XS1 worm screw arm is shorter than the later models, giving different travel and leverage values.

I'm going to start with a very simple system to begin with...entirely cable operated. Parts are costing me around $15 in addition to the cable. I also already have a new worm gear mechanism from Mikesxs that I'll eventually install. not sure if I'll be able to use the stock cable, or the EZ pull one I have from 650 central, or if I'll have to switch to something else.

I also have that moose racing EZ pull I can stick in line to see if that helps as well. I think overall its going to be a combination of things to get it to work well for my wife's hand.

I like the vision - if you can see it, it will happen. I didn't quite follow how you are going to compensate for the length of pull (as TwoMany's figures above) - I might have missed something in your reply, but length of pull to twist (the torque to pi ratio) seems to indicate the need to incorporate something in order to avoid, well, having to perform an exaggerated twist of the new clutch handle device.

Anlaf

Thinking it through a little, we are all used to twisting the throttle, but not all used to having both handles that twist. Is there any inherent instability built-in to the idea (I am talking imbalance in handlebar stability that might send the bike suddenly left) or would you consider twist grips operating antagonistically (throttle release to engage clutch) will just balance or cancel each other out?

Anlaf

Anlaf[/QUOTE]

I like the vision - if you can see it, it will happen. I didn't quite follow how you are going to compensate for the length of pull (as TwoMany's figures above) - I might have missed something in your reply, but length of pull to twist (the torque to pi ratio) seems to indicate the need to incorporate something in order to avoid, well, having to perform an exaggerated twist of the new clutch handle device.

Anlaf

Exactly...nothing comes without work. Anyway my measured max pull is equal to 51 degrees around the circumference of the twist grip (which is basically another throttle assembly that is a push/pull type). so if everything works right I only have to twist 35-45 degrees to get pull the cable enough for the clutch to actuate.

ANLAF, in the period of time known as B.M. (before me), Harleys and others had a twistgrip on the left side to control spark advance. Add to that the footclutch and tank shifter, and you have a busy/thrilling ride...

Thinking it through a little, we are all used to twisting the throttle, but not all used to having both handles that twist. Is there any inherent instability built-in to the idea (I am talking imbalance in handlebar stability that might send the bike suddenly left) or would you consider twist grips operating antagonistically (throttle release to engage clutch) will just balance or cancel each other out?

Anlaf

I'm sure it'll take a little practice to get used to but I don't think there will be any more instability than when someone tries a power takeoff or punching it to full throttle.

Yeah the idea came from remembering the spark advance on old bikes. There were some really old bikes that have had a twist clutch before as well. Then I remembered the exile choppers twist clutch so I looked up its design...which is more complex than I'm doing since its an internal setup.

Back