Clutch isn't engaging, taillight is... Weird

Stretch78

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, basic noob here. Had my 78 xs650 chopper for a few months now and have had constant issues. Most pressing being the guy I got it from didn't tell me the alternator rotor was basically just a big rock. So yesterday I got a new rotor, pulled off the LHC, and replaced it, easy peasy lemon squeezy right? Well you'd be wrong to think I can fix something without more things going wrong
After waiting 24hrs for my sealant to cure I came back and kicked it over, sounded like it was running on one cylinder and was getting cold air out of the right side so I pulled my VM34 carbs, cleaned the hell out of them, bench synced them, andthrew em back on, stuck in new spark plugs and kicked it over. Ran well with a little adjustment to idle speed. Once it warmed up I brought it outside to take it around the block and when I pulled my clutch lever and kicked it into first...
*LURCH. STALL* well crap what happened? I pulled the LHC off again and I have no idea what I'm trying to look for, I clean everything well, throw the cover back on without the gasket or sealant just to test it and still nothing, I've adjusted the clutch lever everywhere and nothing. I need wisdom. Please help!
Also, taillight isn't wanting to work while the headlight is on, I have one button under the seat that turns the bike on, with the taillight grounded to the license plate mount which is welded to the frame and the hot wire for the taillight splits into 2, one side goes up to the power button which is also wired to a switch where I turn my headlight to "on/off/bright" then the other half runs with the hot wire to the brake light back to my brake light switch which is mounted to the rear break link. I'm confused in many ways. Sorry for this novel

Stretch78, it isn't uncommon for the ball bearing in the clutch worm to fall out and mysteriously disappear. Do a forum search on "clutch ball" to see many stories...

Stretch78, it isn't uncommon for the ball bearing in the clutch worm to fall out and mysteriously disappear. Do a forum search on "clutch ball" to see many stories...
I'm not 100%sure what the "worm" is, I do still seem to have a ball bearing in the circular piece that's attached to the inside of the case which I'm guessing is the worm. I've adjusted the bolt under the little cover every which way, adjusted the cable tension every which way, but when I pull the clutch lever and it's in gear (with the bike off) it doesn't change a thing. No response from the clutch at all

Hi Stretch, I've not has my XS650 long or ridden it much but already discovered the clutch adjustment is very fussy. You said you have adjusted the lever but you have had the l/h cover off - did you adjust the clutch play at the worm adjuster? The worm is the round plastic thing with grooves to turn it in and out. The adjuster sits under a small round cover near the gear lever - loosen the lock nut, adjust till you feel the adjuster touch the ball bearing, back off a smidge (people say 1/8 to 1/4 turn) then tighten the lock nut. Do this with the handlebar adjuster wound right in to the perch. There's plenty more guidance from folk with lots more experience of adjusting the clutch . . .

...when I pull the clutch lever and it's in gear (with the bike off) it doesn't change a thing. No response from the clutch at all

If you can feel the resistance from the clutch springs, it's probably working correctly, just not disengaging. Do a forum search on "stuck clutch". Hundreds of threads there...

Your repair manual has the procedure to adjust the clutch. It is a good place to start.
Sealer on the left side cover? Why? you want any moisture that gets in there to get out. That's why they put the notch in the bottom of the cover. As a drain.
Leo

Stretch the clutches on these are for the best part a P.I.T.A, the lucky few have clutches that function well, most have not, poor R&D when bikes were developed, still by the sounds of things you need to strip the clutch right out and clean then re-assemble, lube the cable well, adjust as the manual says and see what you have, though none of that worked on both of mine, with mine the pressure plate was not machined true during production and always disengaged skewed, so i trued both of mine up on my lathe and now they are fine, also the original thrust bearings are at best a load of crap and need replacing with a better version which can be got from MikesXS.

Back