Clutch lever pivot bushing

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've been working on the 79 survivor. With only 9400 miles the PO's were having clutch issues, there was a new cable, what looks like a new factory worm assembly. And they still had it fuggled up, First I backed off the cable adjuster all the way, then reset the worm screw, that got it back to a working clutch. Straightened the elbow in the aftermarket cable a bit, rerouted it to the factory position. Lubed the cable, that probably had never been done... but the lever was still a bit stiff (and wobbly). Pulled the lever off off to grease the pivot and found this.

clutch 004.JPG clutch 006.JPG

Not good, less than 10K and all wallered out. the bolt wear was minimal, the aluminum lever took the hit.

clutch 007.JPG clutch 011.JPG
The bottom o-ring was MIA and just hard dry remains of a bit of grease. I happened to have some sintered bronze bushings of the right size, 8mm ID x 10mm OD x 8mm L, so I bushed the lever. Drilled it out with a 25/64" bit. Reamed to 10mm. Used a home made tool and got rid of the tiny lip left from the inside of the o-ring recess. then pressed in the new bushing, filed and sanded it just a touch so it's length is flush with the lever thickness, greased it, put in an o-ring and reassembled. Wobble gone and I thought the pull was noticeably reduced.
Did this again on Madness in 2018, used a 3/8" end mill in the drill press which let me center the hole quite easily, the end mill's flat bottom cutting edge doesn't follow the old, now off center, oval hole like a drill bit will. I hacksawed the bushing "join joint" wider, filed off the rough edges, tapped it into the hole and the lever is snug again.
clutch 009.JPG clutch 012.JPG
clutch 014.JPG clutch 015.JPG
Often the bolt IS quite worn, the number has superseded to
Bolt
90109-06798-00 list $3.50, boats.net 10-2018 $1.94
edit (02-25-2018) years later 5t noted I had mistyped 25/32 when the bit should be 25/64", now corrected!

MikesXS sells a replacement pivot bolt.
https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-clutch-lever-holder-bolt-409-650-81.html

Last edited:
Hi Gary,
that's a neat fix.
I'm ashamed to admit that I've no idea if my '84 Heritage has ever had an o-ring in there or not.
I've never noticed one the odd time I've replaced a busted off clutch lever with a new one.
I'll go look tomorrow.

My goodness, Gary, you sure jumped through a bunch of hoops bushing that lever! I've used a simpler solution for years--drill the lever for a piece of 1/4" ID bronze bushing from the hardware store, replace the 6 mm. pivot bolt with 1/4x20, and tap the perch for same.

I had the bushings and the reamer, no need to change from the factory bolt. easy peasy. Subject of a future thread; why I happened to have those on hand.
Next one I'm going to try it without the 10mm ream and widen the (existing) slot in the bushing with a Dremel cut off wheel. the bush was just a "smidge" loose on the bolt.

P.S. it 's very hard to find a junk yard with a lever drilled for a 1/4 20 bolt out in the sticks on a Saturday morning........ :wink2:

P.P.S. 2many yeah thought about the hole centering, when I do it again, it's make a centering jig time.

Hi Gary,
OK, I looked and bugger me, there's an o-ring in there! Who'da thought it?
Gotta say, along with the drive chain inner guard, the XS650 is the only bike I've ever owned that had one.

So you are cheap and just want to get'r done and ride? I have made a fix by sawing off a short piece of copper tubing and fitting it to the lever to "bush" the oval hole. With grease lube, it will last quite a while. I hesitate to suggest buying a replacement lever, unless you buy genuine Yamaha there is a good chance you will get a "will fit" lever with the holes "not quite right" this can mess with cable geometry and proper leverage, result? poor clutch action!

While we are here; clutch levers are often bent from tip overs, perches too. You CAN straighten a bent lever if it's not too bad. but as always technique matters. You have to remove it, clamp the big end in a rag in a vice. Heat it with a torch or heat gun, hair dryer won't work here, not hot enough. WEAR GLOVES, you Will touch the lever! Gotta be a bit careful with a torch and aluminum, the melting point is low! I like to use a piece of pipe that will slip over the ball end for leverage, by moving the pipe in and and out you can direct your bending action to the right part of the lever. file the inside end of the pipe smooth or you will mark the lever. Work slowly to straighten, check fit, reheat and repeat as needed. move too fast or don't heat the lever and it will snap off.

Correction - I think you meant to say a 25/64" drill bit. That's 9.92mm.

So went to fleabay and found these. https://www.ebay.com/itm/391929588836
Product Name: Shoulder Bolt Brand:
uxcell
Thread Coverage: Fully Threaded
Material: 304 Stainless Steel
Thread Length: 11.25mm / 0.44"
Shoulder Length: 12mm / 0.47"
Package Content: 5pcs x Shoulder Bolt
Material Grade: A2-70
Inner Hex Width: 5mm / 0.2"
Shoulder Diameter: 8mm / 0.31"
Grade: 4.8
Head Style: Socket Cap
Weight: 67g
Specification Met: ISO7379
Drive Type: Hex Socket
Head Size: 5.5 x 12.8mm / 0.22" x 0.5" (T*D)
Thread Size: M6

5 for $8 delivered compared to 2.35 per at yamaha discount dealers plus shipping.
Ordered some, will report back, The shoulder was pretty worn on madness.

Last edited:
Why not fit a bearing to the pivot?
I did? Oh you are saying use a needle bearing and a custom machined hardened sleeve on a modified bolt.. Some previous experience with BMW engineering and needle bearings with limited movement found they aren't always the best answer. But that's certainly a solution Max.
See first post in this thread. Usually the bolt is also severely worn and needs to be replaced as well.Just buying the available factory bolt makes the most sense. But for me an excuse to use the shop tools.... Need to take a look at one of mine with some miles on it and see how it's doing. I think resto has one with 5-8000 miles on it.

I think Mama Yama intended for those parts to be replaced when they wore out. Just not 40 years later!! :doh: By putting your 'bushing' in it, gggGary, you've come up with a virtually invisible repair/enhancement to the lever, giving it many more years of serviceable life! :bike: Very nicely done! Again! :thumbsup:

Back