Clutch Meter

Shipper

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Question, what is the measurement of the two teeth drives from base to top on the front wheel clutch meter? 1975 650xs. When its all back together, speedo not working. Checked the drive gear and its operational. I think the teeth on the clutch meter aren't fitting in the groves on the gear drive. Have checked all parts are there and nothings missing. Teeth aren't reaching the gear drive. Do they wear down??? That doesn't seem likely. Are there different spacer sizes behind the bearings? Again, not likely - it all goes together beautifully except the teeth apparently aren't making contact.

Attachments

• Bearing.jpg
    Bearing.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 67
  • gear.jpg
    gear.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
The drive tabs stick up about 8mm from the bottom of the washer, about 6.5mm from the top of it. The grease seal is all that holds the parts in. Pop that out and the tabbed drive ring along with a stepped washer that fits on top of it will lift right out .....

full

full

full

It appears you still have an old open bearing in there, probably the original. You might want to change that out to the sealed type.

spin the cable with a drill in reverse to prove the rest up to the speedo is OK, then remove and straighten that ring, it's easy and not critical just get the teeth back up high enough to engage the slots. Had to do it a few times. Engaging the teeth during assembly is a bit of a trick.

First off there is no such thing as a clutch meter. The drive on the front wheel is for the speedometer.
You might want to check the speedo for function before you replace it.
Do you have a the speedo cable? If so screw one end on the speedo. Were the core hangs out of the ot cable hook a drill to it. When you spin the core with the drill it should give a reading on the speedo. It may not go very high but should read. If it doesn't read then the speedo may be bad.
I use a wooden match stick to check if the speedo drive is working. With the cable unhooked put a match stick in the hole in the drive. Spin wheel. If the match turns, the drive works. Might want to clean the cable housing and core. The core pulls out from one end or the other of the housing. A rag dampened with carb clean, brake cleaner a bit whatever cleaner you have, wipe the core clean. Look for rust. Look close at core. Rust inside the core swells the core. This can bind the core in the housing.
Using a spray cleaner, squirt it into the housing till it runs out the other end. Let soak. Blow through with air hose. Repaet till the spray cleaner comes out clean.
Let the housing hang to let cleaner run out and dry.
A light coat of grease on the core up to about 3 or four inches from the upper end is good. You should leave this few inches clear of grease. It can migrate up the core and into the speedo if greased clear to top.
reassemble the cable. Hook to speedo drive. Spin wheel, this should spin the core. If the core spins and your earlier checks prove the speedo good hook the cable to the speedo. Your speedo should work.
Sorry if my first statement sounded like I'm a bit of ab a-hole but not using the proper nomenclature for thing tends to bug the crap out me.
Using the wrong names for things can be confusing to those trying to help.
Reading through your repair manual will help you learn the right names for things.
Leo

Hey XSL,

Thanks for the additional info. I have checked the speedo with a drill and its good. Also checked the speedo gear at the wheel and it works as well, but good advice.

PS - see attached, my manual calls it a "clutch meter' - just saying...

Attachments

• clutch 'meter?'.jpg
    clutch 'meter?'.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 56
spin the cable with a drill in reverse to prove the rest up to the speedo is OK, then remove and straighten that ring, it's easy and not critical just get the teeth back up high enough to engage the slots. Had to do it a few times. Engaging the teeth during assembly is a bit of a trick.

Thanks Gary.

Hey XSL,
Thanks for the additional info. I have checked the speedo with a drill and its good. Also checked the speedo gear at the wheel and it works as well, but good advice.
PS - see attached, my manual calls it a "clutch meter' - just saying...

Hi Shipper,
Note the font.
CLUTCH is in caps and the part IS a clutch, that is, it's a two-pronged dog clutch.
"meter" is in lower case and the part does drive a (speedo)meter.
Kudos to the Japanese ESL student for getting the translation right enough to be understandable.

Hi Shipper,
Note the font.
CLUTCH is in caps and the part IS a clutch, that is, it's a two-pronged dog clutch.
"meter" is in lower case and the part does drive a (speedo)meter.
Kudos to the Japanese ESL student for getting the translation right enough to be understandable.

I knew that, LOL (note the font!)

Have a look here at my post when I had a similar issue and see if it applies to your bike.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-60th-birthday-present.47639/page-26#post-497906

I had crushed the drive washer out of shape , when it was installed out of alignment. It wasn’t making contact with the speedometer drive. Straightening the washer solved the problem.
View attachment 137086 View attachment 137087

Bingo Mailman,

Not going to try to straighten it until I see what Partzilla sends me as new OEM.

Thanks

Attachments

• clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 65
Back