Clutch not disengaging after installing aftermarket push rod

cmills83

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I installed the mikes xs single piece push rod but now the bike is difficult to get into gear and seems to creep forward while stopped in gear with the clutch pulled in.

When I installed, I reassembled the clutch and am thinking maybe I overtightened or under-tightened the clutch springs/bolts? Is there a way to tell? The torque specs are really low on these bolts so I was just doing it by hand. I went through the adjustment process a few times but no luck.

Did you align the dot stamped on the inner basket tooth with the hole in the pressure plate? .....

8nxM2L0.jpg

c0KGVLw.jpg

If that's right then it sounds like your adjustment isn't quite tight enough. The plates don't seem to be separating enough. Any time you have the clutch apart or replace any pushrods, it does seem a proper readjustment is needed. If you still can't get it right, maybe it's that new pushrod. I don't have much faith in that MikesXS one. Look what happened to the one I got .....

iUDEG9e.jpg

Apparently they skipped the hardening process on it. Who knows what could be wrong with other later production runs. Too long or too short, or the wrong diameter? I'd watch eBay for an original long pushrod. They come up quite often and can usually be had for about the same price as that shit copy from Mikes (under $20).

Sure didn't line that up, thanks!

Only reason I replaced it was the clutch seems to go out of adjustment every 200 miles or so and was hoping it was just a worn push rod. Guess we'll see

Sure didn't line that up, thanks!

Only reason I replaced it was the clutch seems to go out of adjustment every 200 miles or so and was hoping it was just a worn push rod. Guess we'll see

How bad out of adjustment in 200mi? Could be cable stretching was a new or old cable in use? Or do you have the original equipment lever, the pivot seems to waller out. Idk I'm just thinking out loud I don't think the push rod is at fault.
As far as what happened after, definitely very important to have the marks line up.

Its out of adjustment enough that its a bit difficult to downshift. I wonder if I just need a custom cable, Im running flanders flat track bars and bought the longest cable I could find, its barely long enough

Dang ya something doesn't sound right. I expect someone with more experience with clutch problems will chime in. Did you inspect the worm screw for cracks, I've heard of that happening.
It's good for the first 200mi or just tolarable?
Are you slacking the cable adjusting at cover to really close and then lever. As you adjust it at the worm screw feather the lever a few times.

I actually prefer to adjust my clutch when the bike is cold because I set it rather tight. If I was to adjust it when hot and with all the parts (cases) expanded, it would most likely be too tight once cooled off and with the parts all contracted.

Did you like up the basket and plate marks yet? Is it still coming out after a couple hundy miles.

Back