Clutch not engaging?

RadMax

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I got my shifter more or less figured out, I replaced my clutch cable, I’ve got the bike on the centerstand, going through gears, I pull the clutch lever and... Nothing. Nothing at all. I’ve tried adjusting it, it’s pretty flaccid in general, and I think the cable is jumping off the lever (the one on the engine). Maybe I installed it wrong? Does anyone have a good pic/diagram? There’s a chance that maybe it’s too long since I changed the bars, but the old one (with a lot of adjustment) worked, it was just a bit stretched out. I ride a 1980 Special with an old-school superbike bar if that helps. Do I need a shorter cable?

P.S. I don’t have an aftermarket clutch lever/perch, just the stock one from a Special, and an OEM replacement cable for a Special from Mike’s XS.

So I got my shifter more or less figured out, I replaced my clutch cable, I’ve got the bike on the centerstand, going through gears, I pull the clutch lever and... Nothing. Nothing at all. I’ve tried adjusting it, it’s pretty flaccid in general, and I think the cable is jumping off the lever (the one on the engine). Maybe I installed it wrong? Does anyone have a good pic/diagram? There’s a chance that maybe it’s too long since I changed the bars, but the old one (with a lot of adjustment) worked, it was just a bit stretched out. I ride a 1980 Special with an old-school superbike bar if that helps. Do I need a shorter cable?
The length of the cable won't make a difference. It sounds like you installed it wrong, or if it can't come into adjustment range, it could be defective.

Take a look here:
https://www.xs650.com/threads/clutch-push-rod-seal-and-worm-gear-install-w-pics.26414/
Easy to index the arm wrong. Fully follow the procedure to set the worm screw and lock nut.
If you looked around here you would see a strong bias towards buying only Motion Pro clutch cables. Anything else is a crap shoot. I'd probably buy a motion pro now cuz well some of those mikes clutch cables have not been very good. Always lube cables before installing.
worm-001-jpg.28143

Yes, there are 4 "swirls" or grooves in the worm. That means you can start screwing the male part into the female part in any of 4 positions. Only one is correct and will result in the worm arm being properly positioned once fully screwed in, as shown in Gary's pic above. To get it right, start screwing the worm in with the worm arm pointing in the 3 o'clock position .....

6E1YAYB.jpg

Yes, you position it at 3 o'clock to start screwing it in. Then once it's screwed all the way in, it will end up about at 7 o'clock like Gary's pic shows.

5twins the tang on your arm looks different than mine, it goes all the way around. I’d figured mine must’ve broken off a long time ago, then I saw gggGary’s pic. You’re goes over the top, ours goes like halfway up the side.

Mine's a 1L9 worm from an XS400. It's a little change and mod I like to do. The arm steps down instead of up like the 650 one. Theoretically, this should give better and more efficient rotation without trying to "cock" the male worm in the female part so much.

9qMD1pt.jpg

uHTbKdv.jpg

With the cable installed, the arm will move up a little and be maybe at about the 8 o'clock position.

u2WTQ0l.jpg

You get your best leverage when the cable is at 90° to the arm so after it's installed and all adjusted up, ideally you want an angle of slightly less than 90° between them. Then when you pull in the clutch lever, the arm will sweep through that 90° and end up at an angle slightly more than 90° to the cable.

5twins I’m not touching that one... :devil:

So I adjusted the worm gear, my clutch lever finally has some feel to it - a LOT more! I’ve noticed something a tad sketchy though: I have the Mike’s XS clutch bolts and springs, and the springs feel a bit too long. They need to be compressed for the bolt to go in. What’s up with that?

I think that's normal. They're aftermarket heavy duty springs most likely, and those are usually a bit longer.

They’re the same length as the stock ones. Also :cussing: the stupid stock JIS bolts, I’m not putting them back in! (I may or may not have destroyed them taking them out too.) Socket-head cap screws for the win!

Japan’s quality is, shall we say, “unparalleled”? Lol But JIS bolts are GARBAGE!!!!! I had to get them with an EZ Out!

Back