Clutch plate rubbers?

Tony g

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all, Im Tony and this is my 1st post.
I'm looking to replace my clutch with EBC kit (Im in UK BTW). Do I need to re-use the rubber anti rattle rings between the plates?
Engine is 2FO 6 plate set up

Thanks

Hello Tony
A very warm welcome to You
Those rubber rings are from a very early clutch (XS2) Part No. 256-16367-00. Described as Cushion Ring in my parts manual. I was kind of surprised to see that u have them in a 2FO engine but with these bikes being 50 years old, i guess i should'nt be surprised at anything anymore.
As far as i can make out, they were an early attempt by Yamaha the resolve the dragging clutch issue and were discontinued after the XS2 I think. Lots of info in the Tech section about the many clutch changes, if u fancy a long read.
Many attempts have been made to improve these clutches by many members as you'll see in the Tech section but by and large they do work better with more modern friction material.
I would not use the rubber rings with new EBC plates as it should work perfectly well without them. The cushion Rings, if in good condition, actually put a small opening pressure on the plates to force them apart when it's disengaged and this may not always be desirable.
Oh and the same size friction plate was used on many Yamaha models right up to the first model R1.

Hi @Tony g
Welcome and hello.
I had similar issues with clutch and resolved it with:
1. A one piece push rod from @GLJ
2. A clutch plate kit from @gggGary
clutch plates.PNG

Shipped to the UK in double quick time.

Also did the 'Worm Lever' Mod.
worm.PNG

But dont forget to fully lube the cable and route through the frame carefully.
Ads.

Hello Tony
A very warm welcome to You
Those rubber rings are from a very early clutch (XS2) Part No. 256-16367-00. Described as Cushion Ring in my parts manual. I was kind of surprised to see that u have them in a 2FO engine but with these bikes being 50 years old, i guess i should'nt be surprised at anything anymore.
As far as i can make out, they were an early attempt by Yamaha the resolve the dragging clutch issue and were discontinued after the XS2 I think. Lots of info in the Tech section about the many clutch changes, if u fancy a long read.
Many attempts have been made to improve these clutches by many members as you'll see in the Tech section but by and large they do work better with more modern friction material.
I would not use the rubber rings with new EBC plates as it should work perfectly well without them. The cushion Rings, if in good condition, actually put a small opening pressure on the plates to force them apart when it's disengaged and this may not always be desirable.
Oh and the same size friction plate was used on many Yamaha models right up to the first model R1.
Thanks for that. Yes mines a bit of a bitsa it seems. Good info on the other Yams :). I need new steels too so if I opted for the 7 plate option will that all fit in my basket with same pressure plate?

Cheers

Tony

Hi @Tony g
Welcome and hello.
I had similar issues with clutch and resolved it with:
1. A one piece push rod from @GLJ
2. A clutch plate kit from @gggGary
View attachment 254358
Shipped to the UK in double quick time.

Also did the 'Worm Lever' Mod.
View attachment 254359
But dont forget to fully lube the cable and route through the frame carefully.
Ads.
Thanks Ads I need to check through the lever stuff too . Do you know if my set up (6 plate) will accept the 7 plate setup with no other changes to basket etc?

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Ads I need to check through the lever stuff too . Do you know if my set up (6 plate) will accept the 7 plate setup with no other changes to basket etc?

Cheers

Tony
My 1980 bike had a standard set up, and took the Gary conversion without a problem. I can’t speak for earlier models. But it seems a good number of members have done it.

Back