clutch push rod seal and bushing tips

xjwmx

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Yes... buy two seals at a time. I'll tell you one reason why in a minute.

I got the bushing out using only a 3/8" bit rather than a 23/64" followed by a 25/64". 3/8 = 24/64, splitting the difference of the special order bits. Using a low speed battery drill the 3/8" bit will go in about 1/8"or so and then start spinning the bushing, While it's spinning it's locked into the bushing good so pull straight out and out comes the bushing. If you release the trigger the bushing won't come out, because it's no longer locked onto the bit. No pile of shavings to be concerned with either with the 3/8.

The new bushing tapped in easy using a hammer with a small socket on a 1/4" nut driver handle.

Careful with the new oil seal. It does not seat, rather it just goes in so far and you should stop. Notice the groove in the case and the corresponding ridge around the new seal. The ridge goes in the groove, which puts the new seal about flush with the face of the case. I drove my first seal all the way back expecting it to seat at some point. Wrong-o. Well, it was early in the morning.

I coated the seal edge and the seal area in the case both with Permatex Motoseal 1, which I think is a lot like Yamabond or Threebond XXXX. If you put it only on the seal, it will mostly wipe off.

I used XSLeo's method of using a screwdriver to push the seal in. Worked great. Don't push too far. Let the Permatex dry overnight if you can.

WJL is on the lift chasing a small oil puddle under rear of engine. Push rod seal was not sealing and the bush was pretty sloppy. I had some bushings in stock 8x10x8mm Then I managed to snap off a 3/8NC tap in the bushing. Like an idiot I was trying to extract the bushing by pulling and wiggling the tap I had run in it. Good thing Dad's tool box had the right size tap extractor AND it worked! so went a got a chunk of 3/8 all thread double nutted the far end slipped a 1/2" drive 21mm deep impact socket on it and bingo bango slide hammered the seal out. It do not give up easy but finally came free. Turned a 7/16" bolt to make a bushing installer and drove the new one in. Buffed my shaft nace and shiny, done. Long as the sprocket is off I'm doing the shaft shaft seal next. I ordered a set so might get the output shaft seal too. Dang I'm channeling my inner @Mailman.
Got an engine oil seal set off fleabay for $15
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Engine...aha-XS1-Xs2-XS-650-1-2-XS-1-XS-2/400401576545

clutch push rod bushing.jpg

I don't drill the old bushings out anymore. Instead, following a tip from somewhere here on the site, I drive a small thin screwdriver in between the bushing and the bore in the shaft, right next to the split in the bushing. This folds the bushing in on itself and releases it's "grip". It's then a simple matter to yank it out with some needle nose pliers. Here's an old bushing removed in this manner on the left .....

ZfpKWJC.jpg

Back