Clutch push rod seal, and other aftermarket essentials

G_YamTech_314

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
i need advice... searching thru my posts hasn't bred success. I saw someone post about differences in NOS and aftermarket pushrod seals. One has a lip, requiring more work, one is flat edged with a simple install after deburring, which is which? and where can I find them? I also wanna know where the best quality single push rod can be found, and what all I need to install it... been searching for hours, and despite being only 22, and quite proficient in internet searching, I cannot find the information needed to have confidence in purchasing the parts for my specific situation. In all, I need new push rod seal, new bushing, new chain and sprockets, air filters, starter button, and probably other stuff I’m unaware of... I’ve been skeptical of MikesXS because I’ve heard some negative comments. Just trying to get my order right the first time and avoid the returned item process... help me find the right resources please!!!

The parts you mentioned… I've had good luck with Mike's XS. I like drop'n the rear sprocket to 31-32. I get the rod seal.. deburr the case... install the rod.. use it to center..guide the seal... get it started.. then.. I put a socket the same diameter of the seal, install it backwaters on a socket extension.. the flat surface of the socket against the seal and with a heavy hammer.. one-two blows and the seal is set.. there should be some rubber along the edge peel'd off. The counter sprocket seal... easy.. visit the hardware store... they have PCV pipe.. the small diameter as the seal..... we use a 10 inch section to drive the seal home. … I've found a heavy hammer ( I use the side of the hammer ) does a better job install'n the seals then a lighter hammer.

i need advice... searching thru my posts hasn't bred success. I saw someone post about differences in NOS and aftermarket pushrod seals. One has a lip, requiring more work, one is flat edged with a simple install after deburring, which is which? and where can I find them? I also wanna know where the best quality single push rod can be found, and what all I need to install it... been searching for hours, and despite being only 22, and quite proficient in internet searching, I cannot find the information needed to have confidence in purchasing the parts for my specific situation. In all, I need new push rod seal, new bushing, new chain and sprockets, air filters, starter button, and probably other stuff I’m unaware of... I’ve been skeptical of MikesXS because I’ve heard some negative comments. Just trying to get my order right the first time and avoid the returned item process... help me find the right resources please!!!
I've ordered a bushel of parts from Mike's and the parts diagrams with numbers are pretty good. The only problem I had was with a brass screen filter that didn't fit into the gas tank through a petcock as part of a petcock rebuilding kit.. What I think happens is the manufacturer,Yamaha, may have sometimes used different parts on the same tank. This is one example. Another problem I encountered was from Bike Bandit when I ordered a part with the OEM that I had. The part looked nothing like mine, so I called customer service and they explained that they bought three warehouses full of parts and were sorting through bags of parts that were ripped open and part numbers were penciled in over paper tape by the previous people, so there's no certainty, but my money was refunded. The last problem I had was looking for parts in online junk yards in India and Japan. My internet security went wild. Hackers are waiting for you. Lots of luck!

I guess my real question is: would I have any luck with procrastinating this replacement seal by JB welding the edge of the seal? I’m sure I’d have some leakage at the rod itself, but my end goal is to ride THIS SEASON. With a full time job, a motor tear down will put me on the sidelines for yet another summer... as well as a grueling six months in PA of not-fun winter seasons. I wanna do this seal the right way (eventually) but what’s going to get me down the road? If I gotta replace the seal, fine, but which seal can I buy that will get messed up the least by hammering it back into a still mated case? I WILL eventually break down this whole motor and rebuild it from the ground up, but for this year, I just wanna ride man!!!

There is a reason for that seal leaking..........its the chain oiler...........

Seriously a leak won't do any harm.......it just makes the front sprocket area dirty and a few drips on the floor.......unless the oil is actually running out under pressure who cares........put a pan under the bike when in the garage

Seriously a leak won't do any harm.......it just makes the front sprocket area dirty and a few drips on the floor.......unless the oil is actually running out under pressure who cares........put a pan under the bike when in the garage
I like the way you think. You just saved me some $$$

Best place to get that seal is directly from Yamaha. You're assured the best quality and it's cheaper than Mike's.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/93102-08206-00?ref=8e57f4c772a5cf9e21585bf1f084074551846d34

The pushrod bushing is just a standard metric sleeve bearing or bushing, cheaper from some industrial supply place like McMaster-Carr than from Mike's.

Pve1Pud.jpg

The best quality single long pushrod is a Yamaha one. Not available from Yamaha anymore but they pop up on eBay all the time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CLUTCH...ash=item4d4a041072:g:LqcAAOSwgmJXxEy9&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
Best place to get that seal is directly from Yamaha. You're assured the best quality and it's cheaper than Mike's.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/93102-08206-00?ref=8e57f4c772a5cf9e21585bf1f084074551846d34

The pushrod bushing is just a standard metric sleeve bearing or bushing, cheaper from some industrial supply place like McMaster-Carr than from Mike's.

Pve1Pud.jpg

The best quality single long pushrod is a Yamaha one. Not available from Yamaha anymore but they pop up on eBay all the time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CLUTCH...ash=item4d4a041072:g:LqcAAOSwgmJXxEy9&vxp=mtr
So is the conversion to a single pushrod actually as simple as it sounds? Pull the rod, pull the seal, pull the bushing, use a magnet to get the ball bearing, and pull the other rod? Then what? Just reinstall one single rod, bushing and seal? This is something we never learned in school :umm:

Yup Necked down end of push rod faces out, done. I have no problems with two piece rods but lots of guys are excited about going to the one piece....

Does the bushing actually need replaced? if it is decent shape it could stay in there right?

IMO they are not a close fit FROM THE FACTORY, I seldom replace them, one so far? I did a close inspection on an engine with 5,000 miles from new, the rod NOT snug in the bushing. I think "guide" may be closer to the truth than bushing.

So is the conversion to a single pushrod actually as simple as it sounds? Pull the rod, pull the seal, pull the bushing, use a magnet to get the ball bearing, and pull the other rod? Then what? Just reinstall one single rod, bushing and seal? This is something we never learned in school :umm:

Yes - it is that simple - BUT - you have to pull out:
  1. the first pushrod;
  2. and then the ball;
  3. and then the second pushrod
- and THEN you can insert the single long pushrod.

As pointed out elsewhere - extracting the ball and the second pushrod is easily done with a small size (like say...1/4" dia.) magnetic pickup tool.

Pete

Last edited:
..... once the old seal is removed. Although others have reported success in doing so, I've never been able to pull that inner ball and rod through the seal, they just won't fit through. Save the hassle and pull them while the seal is out. Yes, the bushing isn't real tight on the pushrod but I think you'll find a new one fits tighter than your old one.

It's not much fun when that oil drips down in front of your rear wheel as you are leaned over in a corner. Happened to me just today as I was taking my son on his first ever road ride. Yep, it was the pushrod seal. Having finely honed dirtbike skills the slide was of no coincidence. I did pull over cause it felt like a tire going flat, but the tire was ok. Just saying ...

It's not much fun when that oil drips down in front of your rear wheel as you are leaned over in a corner. Happened to me just today as I was taking my son on his first ever road ride. Yep, it was the pushrod seal. Having finely honed dirtbike skills the slide was of no coincidence. I did pull over cause it felt like a tire going flat, but the tire was ok. Just saying ...
This is a very good point. I'll be addressing it as needed, for sure. Haven't worked on it in so long I am almost afraid to admit it! Life's been busy lately.

On Mike's site, They have a Tech section. It has several 'How To's" One is how to replace the seal and bushing. The drill method works well.
To install the seal I use a Phillips screwdriver that has a shank just a bit smaller than the clutch push rod. I then get a fender washer that has an OD a bit bigger than the OD of the seal.
Remove the sharp edge on the hole in the case. A slight bevel is want you want.
Coat the outside of the seal with Three Bond. Or a similar sealer This lubes the seal for easy insertion. It also helps seal the seal to the case. Now oil the shank of the screwdriver. Slip on washer, Slip on the seal. Insert the shank of screwdriver into the hole where the rod goes.
The screwdriver help guide the seal in straight. The washer acts as a stop.
Now with just pushing with your hand, no hammer needed, the seal will slide right in. Without any shaving.
All done, neat and clean.
Leo

Back