Clutch push rod seal just fell out?

bonesaw

Huney__Bear
Reaction score
I found some dates threads on here but I haven’t specifically come across what happened to me.

I kicked the bike after it had set a while and to my surprise a giant puddle of oil and a trail down the road until I noticed.

Pulled charging side cover and the seal around the push rod fell out,noticeably worn which I assume is the cause?

I ordered the one piece design,new bushing,new seal.

Anyone else ever see this?

Bike info 1980, 750 kit, cam, pamco,Hhb Pma ect

Bones, what happened is that crankcase pressure pushed the seal out (a skinned seal would have leaked from the git-go). A one-way valve on the crankcase breather should keep the seal in place. Could be due to added case pressure from the big bore kit, but check compression; if compression rings are worn, blow-by into the crankcase can cause trouble.

Good chance when replaced the case edge was not properly chamfered down and tore the lip of the seal right off. Does the case edge feel sharp? If it is, that is the problem.
Yeah I never did that when I built the motor.ive read the threads on the process,haven’t ran into an issue until now lol. Thanks pal

Bones, what happened is that crankcase pressure pushed the seal out (a skinned seal would have leaked from the git-go). A one-way valve on the crankcase breather should keep the seal in place. Could be due to added case pressure from the big bore kit, but check compression; if compression rings are worn, blow-by into the crankcase can cause trouble.
I’ll do a compression test tonight. Thankyou

955357C3-FEA7-4464-92E0-D2CC15AD7A86.jpeg
Trying to show the play in bushing around rod
8899F42E-2378-418F-AA28-95F484679058.jpeg

Worn seal

Leak down test okay,no oil on plugs. Breather hose replaced (stole it off the wife’s 75 )

Inspected seal further to find a wear through on one side,also the bushing and the rod had a trumendous amount of play from side to side.

Softened the edges on the case as I’ve read on the forum,drilled out old bushing,removed other piece of rod (via grease on first half of rod creating a suction and once it got close enough used a magnetized tip a driver from my drill lol)

Waiting on mikes xs for parts. Hoping the negative double digit temperatures a day earlier a worn through seal and a lot of play in the bushing caused the failure.

I’ll follow up for sake of the thread when parts come in.

Thanks everyone so far.

Alright, new seal in with hondabond. Longer push rod installed. Everything is fine proving my theory of the seal and bushing being extremely worn and just finally gave out.

I followed the forum here,softened the edges around where the seal goes,I was just about able to push bushing in,light layer of hondabond on the seal a socket and hammer,lightly tapped the seal in.

**Something that happened to me, which might help someone researching this issue.

I put the left side cover on and tried to kick the bike. Bike seemed like it had no compression,I had basically no “chugging” out of the exhaust and was able to push the kicker from top to bottom with a steady resistance rather than feeling the pistons cycling.

Pulled the plugs, watched the pistons rise and fall and valves doing their job.

After a quick google search and some thinking,I adjusted the clutch on the left side cover.

Bike fired right up.Was very alarming and mind boggling for a few minutes.

Attachments

• 34205D78-F09D-4955-9B52-C699F2EF15E5.jpeg
    34205D78-F09D-4955-9B52-C699F2EF15E5.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 146
  • FD768A16-F01E-4DBE-B27B-59E288AB0CB2.jpeg
    FD768A16-F01E-4DBE-B27B-59E288AB0CB2.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 158
Back