JaxShane650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of tearing down the top end of my motor(1980 XS650) because it bent a intake valve last fall when the valve spring retainer split in half. My clutch was also slipping last time I was riding it and I had already adjusted both ends of the clutch cable. I'm going to be ordering parts soon and I saw that 650 central had some pretty decent prices and has a few of the items I need for this rebuild. I was wondering if anyone has ordered from them before and has some recommendations on clutch kits from them. I know I will definitely at least need clutch disks and springs but unsure on clutch plates. I see that they have a few options like EBC, FERODO, Pro Brand, and Barnet. I have no clue which are good brands and will work for my application, which is a mostly stock engine besides larger jetted carbs with air pod filters and a 2 into 1 Exhaust. Any recommendations and advice for doing this kind of fix on a xs650 would be greatly appreciated.

I would measure your friction discs, there is a spec out there for them. I don't think I have ever seen discs that were not within specs. Replacing the springs usually will fix a slipping clutch. Assuming you are using motorcycle specific engine oil. Car engine oil will cause clutch to slip.

I ordered the EBC clutch plates and springs from 650 Central a few yrs back when my clutch started slipping. They are working for me still. Got my endless cam chain and chain and sprockets from them too. Still running after all this time and miles.

I would measure your friction discs, there is a spec out there for them. I don't think I have ever seen discs that were not within specs. Replacing the springs usually will fix a slipping clutch. Assuming you are using motorcycle specific engine oil. Car engine oil will cause clutch to slip.
Where could I find those specs for the discs? I've been using Castrol 06116 POWER1 V-TWIN 4T 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil and its been working well for me, the slipping started about a year after I got the bike after doing a fair bit of riding.

I ordered the EBC clutch plates and springs from 650 Central a few yrs back when my clutch started slipping. They are working for me still. Got my endless cam chain and chain and sprockets from them too. Still running after all this time and miles.
That's good to hear that they hold up. If I do end up needing to replace them, I will probably go with them since they are the cheapest option.

Clutch plate spec is 3mm new or good, 2.7mm wear limit. All this info is in your shop manual. If you don't have one, they're available on-line as free downloads.

Like DogBunny, I've run across very few bad or worn out clutch plates. New heavy duty springs is usually all I do to fix a slipping clutch, and most all of these bikes seem to need them.

So I finally had time to tear apart the clutch today and take a look at the plates. Upon inspection all the friction plates appear to be within spec and measured from 2.9mm-2.8mm in thickness. The clutch plates all look unwarped and hot spot free. I measured them and the varied from 1.5mm - 1.4mm in thickness. Should I just replace the springs? I'm Including some pics of all the plates and want to know what y'all think (I'm no expert on the xs650 and this is my first time opening it up like this).
20190813_015312.jpg 20190813_015351.jpg20190813_015351.jpg
20190813_015348.jpg20190813_015331.jpg 20190813_015327.jpg 20190813_015323.jpg

ALSO: When I was removing the clutch spring retainer screws I stripped out one of the heads.
20190813_015402.jpg
I had to cut a channel in it with my dremel and remove it with a flat head on my impact gun. So i'm going to need a new set of screws and was wanting to go with an allen bolt setup. I found a set on mikesxs and lowbrow customs. Anyone ever used these or have a better option to go with?

There is an eBay seller offering the clutch spring screws for a much better price .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS650-Clutch-Spring-Retainer-Kit-Chopper-Bobber-Custom-Cafe-Rat/283180188267?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Personally, I'd just replace the springs to start. If that didn't fix things then further steps would be needed but as mentioned, it usually does.
Oh wow thanks for the heads up on those screws, there half the cost and look just as good. I'll definitely be using these.
For peace of mind I think I'm just going to get plates and springs so I don't have to open this pig up again lol. Should I only replace the friction plates? I'm going to be making an order from 650 central (mostly due to needing a front cam chain guide since mine is toast) and see the EBC friction plates seem like a good value and I'm not making any more power than stock. For springs i'll probably go with something a bit stiffer, any recommendations?

You could ask Mike at 650Central when you order the plates. I think he sells 3 different stiffness spring sets. For stock, I'm sure you don't need the stiffest set, probably one of the other two lesser stiff sets. But all are stiffer than stock.

For the steel plates, I'd just wire wheel them clean, and wire wheel the teeth to knock the sharp edges off .....

RbBetwp.jpg

If you look at the steel plates, you'll see they've been stamped out. Look at the teeth and you'll see the edge on one side is rounded, the other edge is sharp. That sharp edge can hang up sometimes when sliding in the grooves in the hub. Knocking it off with a wire wheel may smooth out the clutch action a little bit.

Back