Clutch repair kit mikes xs

Downer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anyone try it? Is it worth buying? Or should I get brand name friction plates and springs? Should I buy mikes replacement clutch screws the updated ones?

Generally speaking the steel plates are easily salvagable so most of the time a full replacement set of steels is not needed unless yours are warped. Springs, I would recommend you get your springs from 650central. You can get the Versah springs for $19.50 and you could get an Alto 8-pack clutch for $70 so you would be in it around $100 and have more clutch surface area (means less likely to have slippage) and slightly stiffer springs. In my opinion this is the better route but I am biased towards the 8-pack clutch because I sell them.

Clayton

Downer I am running Mikes new screws, Yamaha new steel plates and Clayton's eight-pack clutch with a Magura hydraulic clutch master along with Clayton's hydraulic cylinder. I do not have many miles on this setup but it sure seems nice. I highly recommend. Tony C.

Posted via Mobile

I haven't heard anything bad about Mike's friction plates yet. You can still get Yamaha plates for $9.53 at boats.net. Maybe less at other online sellers.
As mentioned the steels are ok if not warped. His springs not so much. 650central has a bigger selection of better springs.
You can make a set of your own adapters, just drill through the set you have. A drill press and a few minutes then Allen head bolts from the hardware store.
I might shop around on Ebay, you might find quality springs or plates for less. I found a set of NOS Kibble White 70LB. springs for not much.
Leo

there a set of mikesxs plates in the wifes bike been ok for 25,000 + miles ( I don't ride it much lol ) she rides the hell out of it. It still has stock springs and bolts.

What's the upside to the 8 plate clutch? What kind of mods needs to be done. I just have a stock bike no big bore is it worth it. What is there to gain ? Thanx in advance

Your 77 should already have a 7 plate clutch so in order to use the Alto 8-pack clutch you would have to modify nothing. The up side to an 8-pack clutch is an increase in surface area by about 18%. The 2 factors that greatly influence whether or not a clutch will slip are surface area and clamping force. If you have a greater surface area then you can run a lighter clamping force (springs) or if you have less surface area you will need more clamping force. Of course these comparisons are in order to achieve the same result with different components. My clutch kits come with 8 Alto Red Eagle friction plates that measure 2.49mm thick and 1 NEW OEM steel disc. So the total stack height using your 6 original steel and the provided parts in the kit will be almost identical to the stack height of the original 7 plate clutch, again no modifications are needed for the Alto 8-pack clutch as long as you have a 7 plate clutch now.

The down side is that so far there are not a whole lot of these out there yet. But they have been performing flawlessly in my bike for quite a while now and I have had zero complaints about any kind of slippage from my customers.

Clayton

Back