clutch springs screws

xs650dreamer

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
does anyone on the forum sell these possibly modified ? I rather buy them from you guys then from mikes or something. I tried the mod but holes came out pretty crooked :/

A drill press really helps. I used a 1/4 inch drill bit and drilled a hole right in the seam where the two jaws of my drill press vise come together. I then put the clutch bolt in this hole. Tighten the jaws so they hold the bolt straight to the drill bit. I start with a small bit to be sure it's centered and work my way up. I go j till I drill the threaded portion of the bolt off.
Remove the bolt, dress off any burrs.
I guess you could take one of the bolts to the hardware store and get some tubing the right size to match the big diameter of the bolt. With the inside about the size of the threaded section.
Get some washers the same od as the heads of the bolts.
When you get the stuff home cut the tubing to match the length of the big part of the bolts from head to threads. Bolt, washer tube.
Leo

Drilled three for the dreamer, a perfect job for the lathe. Used the angle grinder to create a flat for the allen head to bear on. Next time I will start with a centering drill... Dreamer be sure to follow Leos advice about checking that the ends of the allen bolts you use are just flush with the backing plate not sticking out so they don't score the housing.

thanks for the help guys. ive only used a press once and this was the time haha. they started straight but I guess the clamp wasn't so flat and let the screw sit at an angle making a pretty bad. three were usable and luckly gggary was able to help me out. thanks again sir ill post some pics of my project soon

A drill press really helps. I used a 1/4 inch drill bit and drilled a hole right in the seam where the two jaws of my drill press vise come together. I then put the clutch bolt in this hole. Tighten the jaws so they hold the bolt straight to the drill bit. I start with a small bit to be sure it's centered and work my way up. I go j till I drill the threaded portion of the bolt off.
Remove the bolt, dress off any burrs.
I guess you could take one of the bolts to the hardware store and get some tubing the right size to match the big diameter of the bolt. With the inside about the size of the threaded section.
Get some washers the same od as the heads of the bolts.
When you get the stuff home cut the tubing to match the length of the big part of the bolts from head to threads. Bolt, washer tube.
Leo
I was thinking of doing this if I couldn't find anymore my hardware store might have some tubing that would fit the bill

Yes, grinding the domed top off the original screws makes a 40mm long Allen work perfectly. Don't grind the dome off and the 40 is a bit short, not grabbing all the available threads. A 45mm long screw is always too long .....

AllCompared.jpg

All-Installed.jpg

Yes, as if you don't have enough things to do already, huh, lol.

While we are talking about this can anyone tell me how tight to do up the clutch springs and what movement there should be on the clutch when pulling the lever in ?

The screws should be torqued to about 7 ft/lbs (they're only an M6 going into alloy so that's all they get). As far as movement goes, if you're referring to how much the clutch pack "expands" (or the amount the pressure plate moves out) when you pull the lever in, not much, only 2 or 3mm.

While we are talking about this can anyone tell me how tight to do up the clutch springs and what movement there should be on the clutch when pulling the lever in ?

Torque is around 6.5 to 7 ft-lbs.

Clutch moves about 0.079" for a 1978 stock worm gear actuator. I drilled a second hole closer to the centre and now get 0.097".

..... and according to my Metric Converter 2.46 program, that would be 2.0066 to 2.4638mm, like I said 2 to 3mm. Neat little free program by the way .....

http://www.brothersoft.com/metric-converter-470471.html

Yeah 5twins, even though Canada changed over to metric about 40 years ago, my mind has never fully converted over. I tend to think and measure in inches and feet........................and my micrometer and borrowed vernier measure in thousands of an inch.

Back