Clutch squeals on take-off

pregrid

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Just noticed this today on a short run to OSH. I was suprised I could hear it with my poor hearing and helmet on and loud pipes combined. 'Spose it's just being in tune with the bike. I know a new clutch is in the future (works OK, just want to put in Barnett pieces and check the throw-out bearing). I haven't had a chance to check it with my helmet off so I don't know how really loud it is. But I know better than to ignore any potential problem. It just gives a little squeal right at take-off and then I never hear it again until I repeat the process. Sound familiar anyone? Is that new clutch coming sooner than I planned. 'preciate any input. By the way I just spent the last half-hour searching and came up with zip.

"The transmission which has proven itself during the XS650’s lifetime requires a firm foot on the shift lever. It doesn’t clunk, but is a bit hesitant to slide from gear to gear. The transmission works, but won’t earn praise for effortless or slick shifting.

The only time the clutch demands notice is immediately after a cold start. The clutch squeals and squalls at the engagement point, grabbing and making smooth starts difficult or impossible. The noise is caused by inadequate initial lubrication of the clutch basket bushing, which is only stressed when the clutch is disengaged. After a few minutes of running, oil reaches the bushing and the squall disappears. A Yamaha spokesman said that XS650s have always had that peculiarity, but that it isn’t harmful."

Stolen from here.
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xs650F 79.htm

Mine does the same thing. It never did it before I put in new friction plates and mikes throwout bearing. I don't know if it has anything to do with the new parts or just the installer(this guy) did something wrong. But, I don't think it was something I did or didn't do. I've heard that it may be the springs on the back of the basket, but can't say for sure. They were fine when I pulled the basket. I plan to investigate it at the next oil change. If I remember.

Back