clutch wont disengage??

ryans79

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased a 79 XS650 as a project. I have it running fairly well, but can not get clutch to disengage. I can shift gears while on center stand just can't get clutch to disengage. Bike sat for about a year in a garage. Is it a possibility that the clutch plates are stuck together? Fairly sure it isn't an adjustment issue, but any info or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ryan

Yes the clutch plates could be stuck together. The clutch basket could have grooves worn into it making the clutch plates hard to separate. Might as well take the clutch apart to see what's up and change the oil if you haven't already. When you take the right side cover off, pull in the clutch lever and look to see how much the pressure plate moves out before you take it all apart. That could help you eliminate an adjustment issue.

- sometimes rocking it back and forth in gear will free it up too - be lovingly aggressive

what we used to do with cars is bump start them and run them up the road with the clutch in it nearly always freed off in the end,sometimes you had to go a couple of miles,bit of a bugger if you had to stop for any reason before it had freed off.they've changed the material of the clutch now so they don't lock up,takes all the fun out of leaving your car idle for several months.

I was having similar issues with my clutch cable being very stiff on my 76 xs650. The bike was running, shifting gears and moving but there was poor clutch response and seemed to be a loss of speed as a result. I tried all the adjustment possible at the handlebars, lubing the cable and it softened a little but not much so I finally just replaced the cable altogether. Now the cable is new, been lubricated and it is softer than the old clutch pull but now it will not disengage. I can shift gears but it still will not disengage even when rolling. Suggestions? I read on other sites, etc that there is a spindle on the worm drive as well as a bearing. When I connected the cable at the worm drive I did not see any bearing anywhere.

The clutch actuator worm drive must have a ball bearing in it, but they sometimes fall out.................... click on "Tech" at top of page and read the "clutch" section

I installed new clutch plates and bearing. the bike jumps and dies when I put it in gear. I have adjusted the screw on the engine and the cable nuts are all the way in on the lever. whats up?

itsagivens, did you align the hole in the pressure plate with the dimple on the inner basket? Did you bathe the plates in oil before installing them?

itsagivens, did you align the hole in the pressure plate with the dimple on the inner basket? Did you bathe the plates in oil before installing them?
Hey Travis
I soaked the plates in oil, I also replaceed the springs, I didnt know about the dimple, it`s a `72 XS2, I thought only the later ones had the dimple? I`ll check it out thanks!

Behind the center hub there are two washers and a bearing. If they are assembled wrong, when you tighten the hub nut it will lock the hub to the basket.
Leo

Thanks Leo, I disasembled the clutch swaped the washers and it worked! Thanks to everyone for the advice, Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted via Mobile

Back