Clutch worm gear mechanism arm hole enlarged!!

Airwolfie

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I just noticed my clutch worm gear mechanism arm's fixing hole is enlarged!! Well more ovoid, resulting in slop!!

10125206875_db16bb78d0_b.jpg

Can I just drill a hole closer to the inside like so..........

10197244693_b40b02dd2e_b.jpg

Or does it mean I need a new one of these??

I have read somewhere about someone making these with the hole closer to the centre, so could this work too?

Or do I need to spend MORE money??!?!??!:doh:

Any thoughts or help appreciated!!:thumbsup:

The hole being shaped like that won't cause any problem. It's no different than stretch in the cable. If you make a new hole in a different place the clutch will pull differently.

If it's bothering you, weld it shut, redrill.

I see you are missing a ball. I have had luck restaking the bushing so it stays where it should.

If you drill yours as indicated it will be very hard to pull the clutch lever, because you will have lost a lot of the mechanical advantage. In my picture you can see where I drilled a second hole, closer to the worm gear. That's about as far in as I would go.

It may work OK just as it is. You could find a larger diameter pin, and then drill the oval hole larger, as well as the shackle piece larger.

Attachments

• Drilled a second hole R1.JPG
    Drilled a second hole R1.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 180
Ok thanks guys! Guess I'll live with it then! I'm itching to get this assembled, so if it's not serious, I'll carry on!

Gary,I got the ball fortunately, I will get it back in there!!:thumbsup:

Drilling the hole closer to the worm will make the lever a bit harder to pull. The extra effort won't be that much.
Having the hole closer in will move the worm farther. pushing the rod farther, opening the pressure plate father.
This extra movement will lessen the clutch drag and improve the clutch action. It will be easier to shift, but it makes finding neutral much easier.
A good dab of grease in where the ball goes and a bit more after you put the ball in will keep it in place. Restaking will only work for awhile. The rod will just wear the staking back again.
Leo

Drilling the hole closer to the worm will make the lever a bit harder to pull. The extra effort won't be that much.
Having the hole closer in will move the worm farther. pushing the rod farther, opening the pressure plate father.
This extra movement will lessen the clutch drag and improve the clutch action. It will be easier to shift, but it makes finding neutral much easier.
Leo

So it will be a......good.........thing..........to errm do?

That's what I thought, surely that is what you want? Closer to the pivot point gives more movement, thats why I didn't think putting it further out would be better.

I will be using Hugh's handbuilt hyrdaulic clutch conversion if that makes any difference?

Back