Clutch?...

JRay77

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I’m on the run for a few days. I skimmed thru a few clutch threads but.... I loaned my cousin a bike. It has a 2FO motor, BS38 carbs. Anyway when she rolls to a stop, pulls the clutch in, it stalls.. WTF? The clutch cable snapped on me a few weeks ago so I replaced the whole lever and new cable. Neutral is hard to find. Have to shut the bike off to find it if you don’t find it coming to a stop. I know this is a clutch adjustment. Right? Thanks for any input. I will send her this link to watch. Again thanks guys.

There are some cables in the wild with the wrong cable sleeve exposure length. Cable routing; can't emphasize enough how important a smooth no sharp bends route is. Few bikes have stock bars/cable length, you usually have to just spend some time, be a bit creative and find the best possible route for your bar/ cable side cover combination. Did you lube the cable? New cables are NOT lubed. Cables typically stretch in the first few days of use. Did your friend reset free play at the handlebar? (first thing to try) Thee are also good and crap cables, hard to beat Motion Pro for cables. Is the elbow bend shallower than stock? If not un-bend it to about 1/2 the stock bend then reroute cable. Successful XS650 clutch action is a bunch of little things done right not a big "change from stock"

Last edited:
It does sound like an adjustment issue, as in the worm and/or lever adjustments aren't set tight or snug enough. Even with proper adjustment, the 650 barely has enough pushrod movement and clutch plate separation. Lose some of that because of improper adjustment and you can get the issues your cousin has.

I lubed it up well. I need to get a cable lube thing tho to do a better job. I believe it is a motion pro. I've bought several. She musta got it. I haven't heard anymore. Lol.

Back