coil or bad ground

peanuts

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have just hooked up all the wires, head light, turn signals,brakes,coils,starter. I have good spark to new plugs. 11.6 volts almost evertwhere. I noticed the right hand coil started to get warm.

I unhooked the battery as soon as i noticed it...any ideas...

peanuts,

If you mean that the coil got warm with the engine not running, then that is normal. It shows that the right side points were closed when you turned the key / kill switch on with the engine not running. That's why you don't leave the key / kill switch on for very long with the engine not running. If you are working on the electrical system and need power, then turn off the kill switch to prevent the coils(s) from overheating.

Only one coil is on at a time because only one set of points is closed at a time for 90 degrees of camshaft rotation when the engine is running.

Thanks for the info....I will continue to keep you guys in the loop...
I should have the bike running in a week..can't wait..I post pics when i do..
Oh I have just received 2 into 1 from mikes 650..

OK i have had it with points and petcocks Mikes xs has pemco ignition.... Do I need the complete system, coil,rod,advance, the works? Also my petcocks are 78 with vacuum. (Please for give me if i don't know jack about these systems) I just have an old service manual,,,but what do i do with the vacuum at the carb if i do buy the new replacement petcocks..

I can see where this is going..re-phased, 750 bore, Swing arm Carbs, "shit" i might as-well buy a new Triumph Tiger

peanuts;

Don't panic. These bikes are quite simple, but they do need modernization of some components. Forget about ........rephase/750/swing arm rebuild/PMA etc.... just alot of marketing hype.

Focus on the main items that make the bike run well. Vacuum petcocks are evil and must be removed asap. Buy a manual petcock from XSdirect..........one should do to feed both carbs through the cross-over.

While points work, they get to be a pain after a while. A Pamco is a simple way to have a good ignition. Your old original coils are worn out. Buy a Pamco kit that matches your bike year. If your bike has the ATU (rod the runs through the cam and turns the points cam), then buy the kit without that part. The #17-6822 coil is reported to work well.

Use a piece of 3/16" fuel line to join the 2 barbs on the carb manifolds.

Back