coil or ignition unit?

bTw1226

bTw1226
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a pretty big rookie so bare with me but I have been reading all of these threads about ignition systems and I still cannot figure out what I should do. I have a 1983 xs 650 that will not get spark. Either my black box is bad or my coil is bad. I have tried two different black boxes and two different coils all with the same result.. Very small spark to the plugs but the spark is there, kind of like one of those pens that shock you.. What do I do to make my bike run? I just want to be able to kick start it so if the electronic ignition no longer works, that is fine. looking for the cheapest and easiest way to make her run so let me know if you have any ideas please.

Thanks a ton!
btw

Hi,
I am a pretty big rookie so bare with me but I have been reading all of these threads about ignition systems and I still cannot figure out what I should do. I have a 1983 xs 650 that will not get spark. Either my black box is bad or my coil is bad. I have tried two different black boxes and two different coils all with the same result.. Very small spark to the plugs but the spark is there, kind of like one of those pens that shock you.. What do I do to make my bike run? I just want to be able to kick start it so if the electronic ignition no longer works, that is fine. looking for the cheapest and easiest way to make her run so let me know if you have any ideas please.

Thanks a ton!
btw

The 82 and 83 years had that nasty Sidestand Relay. Its logic is controlled from the neutral switch and the sidestand switch. As a test for this problem of no spark, unplug the Sidestand Relay, as it may be disabling the TCI units.

do you need to bypass the sidestand relay or can you just disconnect it?

dennis, are you talking about a points system? my bike has no points but an ignition box in its place.

Remove the plunger down at the sidestand, trace the wires up to the connection block and then link the 2 wires together at the block. Throw the plunger in the hollow, millpond, trash etc.

thanks you guys. I will try both those things tonight when im home and see what I come up with. really appreciate the help. and thanks for the messages dennis

The 82 and 83 years had that nasty Sidestand Relay. Its logic is controlled from the neutral switch and the sidestand switch. As a test for this problem of no spark, unplug the Sidestand Relay, as it may be disabling the TCI units.

RG, I have the same problem with an 81. I am using the TC Bros. simple wiring and have 12 volts to the coil but no spark. The TC Bros. 6 pin connector only has 5 wires. It has a blank where it leads to the black wire with white stripe on the CDI box. Is that the kickstand wire you are referring to? Should that be left alone or hooked up to a hot wire?

Charge the battery. Resting voltage should be 12.6v. A new battery that is discharged will read 12v but that battery needs charged.

A new battery doesn't mean a thing if the charging system is not charging it. Check the voltage at the battery and it should be >14v when the engine is reved.

The wiring path is complicated on a bike. There are many spots where a bad connection can drop the voltage. You can easily test by jumping from the battery + to teh coil +.

Shotgun teh wiring harness by unplugging each connector and spraying with contact cleaner. Plug the connector in and out several times to scratch up the terminal contact. Don't forget inside the headlight shell. Spray contact cleaner on teh kill switch and work it.

Good Luck and remember, you would pay big money at teh local college to learn all the stuff the old XS is going to teach you. ;^)

Tom

RG, I have the same problem with an 81. I am using the TC Bros. simple wiring and have 12 volts to the coil but no spark. The TC Bros. 6 pin connector only has 5 wires. It has a blank where it leads to the black wire with white stripe on the CDI box. Is that the kickstand wire you are referring to? Should that be left alone or hooked up to a hot wire?

I'm not familiar with the TC Bros harness. If you are using the stock 81 TCI (not CDI) black box, then all 6 connections are required for the TCI box. If you only have 5 wires going to the TCI box then that is a problem. Refer to the 81 wiring diagram, and you will see the 6 wires required.

There is no sidestand switch on an 81 as far as I know.

The 7 wire TCI box was used 82 and later. The 80 and 81 used the 6 wire box.
On the TC Bros wiring, I can't see spending that much money on a few dollars of parts that I can assemble myself. Anyway the voltage at both the TCI box coil red/white wires should be no less than about .2 or .3 volts less than battery voltage. ,If your battery checks at 12.6 volts then the voltage at the TCI/coil should be no less than 12.3 volts. Is so then you need to check all the connectione be tween the battery and the TCI/coil. Most like ly the engine stop switch, key switch, or fuses. If you still have the stock 4 fuse box on top of the bettery replace it with blade type inline fuse holders. The stock glass fuse holder clips are weak and make poor connections.
A search will lead you to the how to on the fuses and the rotor magnet.
Leo

I found my problem. It's my own stupidity. I misunderstood the TC Bros. directions and I had the 6 wire connectors switched. Once I followed the wiring diagram, I saw they were connected wrong. All is good now.

Back