Coil placement

bobber bill

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I found a good spot to mount my ignition coil on the backbone between the carbs. I am running Mikes Ultimate coil with the pamco kit. I'm also planning on running these vintage braided plug wires, which is kind of a toss up.

My concern is with the potential fire hazard resulting from coil being so close to the carbs and fuel lines, especially with the vintage wire. I've been told that the vintage wires don't have the proper shielding/insulation for electronic ignitions and that they could could arc straight through the PVC.

Should I really be worried about the fuel in the carbs igniting and causing a fire? Or am I just being paranoid? Does anybody have any REAL firsthand experience with these wires or with placing the coil between the carbs? and not so much "he said - she said"

DSC_2961.jpg

DSC_2958.jpg

Also, is that a sufficient grounding method for the coil/pamco? Thanks

Last edited:
I'm running a similar setup with my Pamco/Ultimate coil. It seems to run fine in my short neighborhood test. I'll be curious to see if anyone else objects to this design. BTW, do your air filters clear the coil in that position?

Kent

P1000066.jpg

I have no first hand knowledge of the vintage wires, but I have a couple observations. First I have mounted coils in that location with NO problems at all. Second, as long as everything is sealed up at your intakes and filters I would be suprised if there were enough raw fuel or vapor present to be a problem. Third is your connectors, I would never trust those crimp types, invest in good soldered connections with heat shrink insulation, just sayin.

Sounds good. Glad to hear that there aren't any objections (so far). I guess I'll have to test out the vintage wire/electronic ignition combo for myself.

kvander - I'm running Keihin PWK's and pod filters so yes, there's plenty of room

rwings - I have those spade connectors crimped, looped and soldered. They're not going anywhere.

Thanks

Well, I do not recommend mounting the coil behind the engine due to the heat coming from the engine. As for the vintage wires, you can buy "vintage look" wires that are designed for the higher voltage from a coil like the "Ultimate" coil.

Here is the "Ultimate" coil jumping a 1" gap.

I don't think you want that kind of energy that close to the carbs.

Well, I do not recommend mounting the coil behind the engine due to the heat coming from the engine. As for the vintage wires, you can buy "vintage look" wires that are designed for the higher voltage from a coil like the "Ultimate" coil.

Here is the "Ultimate" coil jumping a 1" gap.

I don't think you want that kind of energy that close to the carbs.

So are you saying that the Ultimate coil will arc through my vintage wire and ignite the fuel? and cause a fire? Have you tried testing your "electronic" ignitions with the vintage wire?

If you're looking for possible coil locations, I mounted my Accel coil in front of the engine. It gets direct air flow there, which is good for cooling.

Attachments

• Accel coil mounting.JPG
    Accel coil mounting.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 452
It's also a huge eyesore on a stripped down bobber build. If I weren't concerned with aesthetics I would definitely mount mine there

Well, here is a copy of the information from LowBrow Customs

vintage wire.jpg

Cloth Spark Plug Wire Sets Vintage Style - Assorted Colors Available
SKU: P-ELEC-PlugWire-Cloth
Lowbrow Customs presents vintage-style braided cotton spark plug wire sets. These plug wires are cotton-braided and lacquered, but have a modern stranded copper conductor with pvc insulation for top performance.

Each order consists of a full 48" of 7mm plug wire with the rajah clips for your spark plugs installed, a pair of rubber boots and a pair of high tension terminals for the ends of the wires. Simply clip the wire to the needed length, put the boots and terminals on the end and install on your coil or magneto! These are not for use with electronic ignitions. Made in the USA.
Our Price: $25.00

There are other brands of "Vintage Look" wires that are approved for electronic ignitions. Just Google "Vintage spark plug wires"

But, to each his own. Have I actually tried these wires with the Ultimate coil? Well, no, I haven't. I have, however, jumped out of an airplane with a parachute. I suppose I could go back and try it without a parachute :yikes: just to see if all the BS I hear about using a parachute is really true! :wtf:

Back