coil problem/timing

cobrasneverdie

el guapo
Reaction score
here is the background info (76, hughs pma, pamco ignition, running on battery)

k so yesterday I fired up my bike and everything went great except for today. So I tried to fire up my bike with a sparx capacitor except I wasn't getting enough power, I gave it gas and it died. So what I did is I switched it to battery fired up good, making sure to be careful of my plugs being in properly I noticed that the left plug didn't click all the way. I kind of :banghead: though I fried my coil.

Doesn't start well... I go and try to time the bike and I put the clamp on the left coil wire and the timing gun fires only sometimes. I'm getting a lot of backfire now. I put the timing gun on the right side it and the gun fires well, except for the marking stays at tdc then it skips every now and then.

Is this a sign of a faulty coil? Should I put new plugs in?
These spark plugs are from last year and barely used though they are quite black.

help would be great, any missing info please let me know

Timing problem? If the bike has the mechanical ATU, it may be worthwhile to look carefully at the fly-weights and springs..............make sure nothing has fallen apart. Does the advancer shaft turn freely? The large lock ring is still tight?

Its normal for the timing light to work well on one cylinder, but work poorly on the other.

fly weights and spring come back normally, the shaft turns like it normally would. Didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

The timing marks stay on tdc for a bit then it jumps forward when it backfires or sounds off

it ran great the first time, I opened up the throttle and now a lot of backfire

fly weights and spring come back normally, the shaft turns like it normally would. Didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

The timing marks stay on tdc for a bit then it jumps forward when it backfires or sounds off

it ran great the first time, I opened up the throttle and now a lot of backfire

Have you tried to adjust the pamco sensor plate in order to move the timing from TDC to the F area?

If you're firing on the TDC mark, the timing is retarded. Rotate the Pamco plate in a clockwise direction to advance it some. I'd turn it maybe 1/8" then check the timing again.

Thanks 5twins, ill do that when I get there. I bought new plugs so hopefully it'll help a bit. I'll shift the plate like you said.

So I did what you told me I set the plate clockwise a bit. The marking read on "fire" When I put the timing light on. I gave it gas and it bogged down. I wonder if it's my carbs. I took the old plugs out and they were charred. I have a video ill post of how the bike sounds.

I also had some coils kicking around, I swapped those and now the Ike won't start. Put the original ones back on and the bike want start

well I'm not sure if the pamco gave out or the coil did

I tried to follow the test for the coil and it said 2.5-4 ohms and here is what I got
4pmpxDq.jpg

I tested the pamco by following the instructions and I grounded the plug to the engine, no spark at all

so I did a continuity test... again not sure if this is what verifies that it's working or not. It is on the red wire.
XmYV7cU.jpg

I don't know how to test the rectifier at all

help please :shootme:

here is the first time I fired it up with a battery, I then switched to sparx and it sounded like crap, seemed like it didn't have enough power.

here it is how it sounded

I would also like to add to the equation, I had the battery on the floor, not sure what shortage happened maybe the mess of a electrical box shorted something but the only wire that burned off was my ground from battery to bike

I then made sure no wires were touching the box by taping any bare metal. Bike fired up shitty and then after I swapped the coil it went to bike heaven.

would also like to mention that the batter voltage read at 11.2 so I charged it and I'll be heading out to check again tomorrow

Back