Coker Firestone Tire Size

Mikeydiehn

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hello,

I am looking for purchase coker firestone tires for my 83 heritage special. I looked up the tire specs and what i found is the front tire is 3.50-19 and the rear is 4.00-18. The tires i found were both 4.00-19 and 4.00-18. My question is it ok that the front be .50 wider than what the specs are? Or does anyone have a link to where i can get the right size or the same style tire but a different brand? Thanks for your help.

Do you want those tires or something else? Figure that out first, then figure out sizing. As for the 4x19, it will work just fine.

An 83 with an 18 inch rear? Must be your bike isn't stock. They came with a 16 rear with a 130/90 on it.
Leo

Leo is right, look at your wheels before you buy the tires. Also, why does someone's tire choice always bring in the hotly debated opinions? It's just tires, and I doubt the dude is racing on the track.

Leo is right, look at your wheels before you buy the tires. Also, why does someone's tire choice always bring in the hotly debated opinions? It's just tires, and I doubt the dude is racing on the track.
Some people have ridden on those tires and know they are terrible, and are trying to keep the poor guy from making the same mistake .

Okay, since in askig for opinion, I know I'm going to get a bunch of answers. But I'm curious, why do YOU think they're so bad?

I wasn't asked . I'll offer anyway . I've been riding near 4 decades and wrenching professionally for nearly 30 years . I'll not cite hearsay , science , Independent research or empirical evidence .

I will not ride a motorcycle shod with the Firestone replica Coker tires . Not around the block nor in the parking lot , I will not .

Just read my sig again ...

~kop

hello,

I am looking for purchase coker firestone tires for my 83 heritage special. I looked up the tire specs and what i found is the front tire is 3.50-19 and the rear is 4.00-18. The tires i found were both 4.00-19 and 4.00-18. My question is it ok that the front be .50 wider than what the specs are? Or does anyone have a link to where i can get the right size or the same style tire but a different brand? Thanks for your help.

I'd actually be curious if the rear could handle 4.50 too then. .50 increase both front and rear. That's what I'd like to run on my bike.

I'd actually be curious if the rear could handle 4.50 too then. .50 increase both front and rear. That's what I'd like to run on my bike.

Hi Quinn,
what I read about Coker tires is that they are made as vintage replicas and while
they look appropriate on old vehicles at shows or in museums they don't do well in road use.
What I know about them is they ain't tubeless.
What I know about XS650 tire sizes is:-
The stock front size was originally 3.5"-19 and the equivalent metric size is 100/90-19 but a 110/90-19 will just about clear the front fender.
The stock Special rear size was originally 5"-16 and the equivalent metric size is 130/90-16 but some but not all 140/90-16s will fit if you sand off the sidewall's raised lettering.
The stock Standard rear size was originally 4"-18 and the equivalent metric size is 110/90-18 but as a 130 width tire will clear the swingarm perhaps a 130/80-18 or a 130/70-18 would fit OK?

I wasn't asked . I'll offer anyway . I've been riding near 4 decades and wrenching professionally for nearly 30 years . I'll not cite hearsay , science , Independent research or empirical evidence .

I will not ride a motorcycle shod with the Firestone replica Coker tires . Not around the block nor in the parking lot , I will not .

Just read my sig again ...

~kop

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but what is your opinion of the Avon speedmaster MK II tires?
I do genuinely value your opinion!

Thank you

Don

I'm running the Avon on the front with the Corker on the rear. I like them. You feel like a hula hoop when on rain grooved freeways. They seem fine in the turns. I have about 5k miles on them and they are still looking fine. Getting a little squared off in the rear.

I'm on a chopper though. So performance isn't #1.

I'm running stock rubber on the back and an Avon 5.00 - 16 on the front.

Yea... hula-hoop rain grooves!

Attachments

• IMG_20140802_073323.jpg
    IMG_20140802_073323.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 391
I run a coker firestone in the rear now, not the one OP was talking about though.
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• 1394133011.jpg
    1394133011.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 2
Hi james,
that Coker rear tire looks like it should be on the front wheel of a 1950s farm tractor.
Like my signature sez, my XS650 is a sidecar rig so it don't have the same tire needs as a solo bike.
That tire's lack of a grippy tread pattern is not a concern and the flat-across tread is a bonus.
A sidecar rig's tire's only criterion is how long it will last.
So how many miles does the Coker have on it and how long to you reckon it will last?

I don't know about the Coker firestone. The original firestones on my chopper back in the day. Great tire liked the way they would squeal burning rubber from a red-light. They were ok never crashed because of them. Not the best rain tire but ok if you don't push it. Not the farm design.

Hi james,
that Coker rear tire looks like it should be on the front wheel of a 1950s farm tractor.
Like my signature sez, my XS650 is a sidecar rig so it don't have the same tire needs as a solo bike.
That tire's lack of a grippy tread pattern is not a concern and the flat-across tread is a bonus.
A sidecar rig's tire's only criterion is how long it will last.
So how many miles does the Coker have on it and how long to you reckon it will last?

It is a front dirt track car tire and have been riding on it all summer, it is wearing normally so far.

Hi Quinn,
what I read about Coker tires is that they are made as vintage replicas and while
they look appropriate on old vehicles at shows or in museums they don't do well in road use.
What I know about them is they ain't tubeless.
What I know about XS650 tire sizes is:-
The stock front size was originally 3.5"-19 and the equivalent metric size is 100/90-19 but a 110/90-19 will just about clear the front fender.
The stock Special rear size was originally 5"-16 and the equivalent metric size is 130/90-16 but some but not all 140/90-16s will fit if you sand off the sidewall's raised lettering.
The stock Standard rear size was originally 4"-18 and the equivalent metric size is 110/90-18 but as a 130 width tire will clear the swingarm perhaps a 130/80-18 or a 130/70-18 would fit OK?

Sorry you might have to put that in terms that I can understand.
My stock front rim is a 19 and the tire is a 3.5 - I want to move up to a 4.00 for a fatter/wider look.
My stock rear rim is a 18 and the tire is a 4.00 - I want to move up to a 4.50 for a fatter/wider look.

WILL THAT FIT?

Back