Cold Weather Gremlins - Gone!

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my 650 out a few weeks ago and was running on only one cylinder (left wasn't firing). At the time I was confused as it ran great before I stored it for the winter. I checked the spark at the plugs...it was good. Switched the plug wires (just in case it was a weak spark)...no change. Was planning to pull the carbs and give them another good cleaning.

Fast forward to today. Decided on a whim to go for a ride. It was sputtering and backfiring so I adjusted the idle passage needles. Tightened them down and then backed them out 3 1/4 turns. That did the job. Apparently they got "out of adjustment" over the winter. How is completely beyond me. I'm just glad the gremlins decided to leave.

Just wanted to pass along a happy story. Warm weather is just around the corner and I'm now looking forward to it more than ever.

strange you should mention that! I am going thru the same problem right now. no fire on the left side and nothing has changed from last fall. I'll try your method but mine likes to stall out and die as soon as I open the throttle. I think I have other demons.

Being spring, it is a good time to completely clean those carbs. The varnish from old gas and over-winter can cause pain in the butt problems. Do it now so you can spend more time riding then fixing. I ride thru the winter and just rebuilt them and still found junk in the choke /pilots.

If mine has been sitting for a week or so I'll check the headers after I start her up, just a little 'back of the fingers' feel, kinda like checking for 110 ac. Once I see that both sides are warming up then I'll role. Gremlins.

Back