Come-back from Black , The Wretched XS ( picture heavy)

Denisesewa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Back on June 4th I bought a 77 650D ,
00D0D_3EUdzCIprMC_1200x900.jpg

with help from members and alot of reading here I spent all of June fabricating parts, getting it running decent and getting it looking more or less the way I wanted.
001.JPG

It then got torn down, frame sandblasted and to my horror realized the P.O. had taken a grinder to the frame and "un-rounded" all the tubes and covered it in Bondo, couple of days of sanding got the tubes round again.
008.jpg

Then painted.
007.jpg

I also stripped all the black paint from all aluminum parts and again found the same thing, deep grinder marks and bondo on engine cases, rims , hubs, forks, EVERYTHING !:banghead:
011.jpg

So what was supposed to be a month long rebuild turned into a sanding and polishing marathon but things finally started to go back together.
014.jpg

Then I rebuilt the engine and re-tunneled the tank to lower it 2 inches, relaced the wheels, fabricated a ton of new parts, wired the bike by running as much wiring through the frame as possible and covered every wire in yellow and black cloth braid, all control wiring is run through the handlebars, also covered the cables in stainless steel braid.
001.jpg
So, 3 months from the date of purchase, I finished the paint work and re-assembled the rest of the bike. the idea for this build was to have all the equipment, turn signal, speedo ,horn etc. and still have it be super clean and organized , its been a love hate relationship but today made it worth all that with a nice break-in ride on a virtually brand new bike which ( in my opinion) looks as good as it rides:bike:.
I'd call it an "almost" show bike daily driver. ( pictures don't really do it justice)
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg
014.jpg
015.jpg
020.jpg

I am particularly proud of this build ( can ya tell?) since with the exception on having a recces milled in the triple clamp absolutely everything was done by me in my hundred year old shed, minimum tools, ( mig welder, HB 10 inch lathe, sandblast cabinet. and my exclusive shade tree paint booth) ( only two bugs landed in my paint:laugh:

My paint booth
017.jpg
My first class shed
018.jpg

And then theres the rest of my Wretched excess XS'ssssss, ( yeah, I'm addicted, going to buy a stocker tommorrow):eek:
025.jpg
026.jpg

One for every week day !!:smoke:
Thanks everyone past and present who has added to the knowledge base here,
VERY much appreciated !!

Nice story and pics......The shed pic is the best, can't beat the feeling when working in something like that, even just looking at it.....Done a good job on the rebuild congrats............

Who knows what year parts are added to these bikes. The front end is 35mm, 77D and later and the rear hub is 77 or later as well.

I don't like hard tails, but I do recognize high quality workmanship:cheers: Its very well done!
If you put a black fender on the front, it would be perfect.
Thank you, actually the fender in the " paint booth" pic is the front fender, unfortunately a squirrel took a crap on it while the 2k clear was drying so will have to be redone, it's tough doing good paint outdoors.

What RG said. Quality work always shows through. Yours does . Well
Done

Very Very Well done ! Impressive ! although I would add a spedo and tach and a front fender and reel in those Long reach forward pegs
especially if it's going to be a daily rider ! .... but to each their own ! you did a remarkable job ! keep it upright !
and ride safely
Bob.......

Nice work!

...did you have a word with the squirrel yet?

Yeah, we had a discussion this morning about re-evaluating his peanut ration if he continued this behavior , cant actually be mad since I did leave my fender under "his " tree.
002.jpg

Very Very Well done ! Impressive ! although I would add a spedo and tach and a front fender and reel in those Long reach forward pegs
especially if it's going to be a daily rider ! .... but to each their own ! you did a remarkable job ! keep it upright !
and ride safely
Bob.......
The speedo is on the lower left fork leg and it will get a front fender, I put the forward controls where they are due to having long legs, its pretty comfortable.
Its kinda funny now, but..........

Thanks for all the kind words guys

Nice job! That paint is great. I am also an outdoor semi-professional painter! I like the clean black paint. That bike is def show quality!

I'm not a hardtail guy, (in the context of riding one or wanting to), what i do like is a well presented one, its all about lines to make them visually work............dropping the bars, dropping the tank, adding and where the headlight is placed, and putting the mufflers on changed the bike and made it visually appealing....................From the side the eye travels from the back wheel in a straight line, rolls up and over the tank, and brings you to the headlight. Also dropping the tank means the front of the tank follows the line of the down-tube, also fits in with the bracing, and then the light protrudes from the middle of the tank.......Smooth.......Think the front guard finishes it off.........

Last edited:
I'm not a hardtail guy, (in the context of riding one or wanting to), what i do like is a well presented one, its all about lines to make them visually work............dropping the bars, dropping the tank, adding and where the headlight is placed, and putting the mufflers on changed the bike and made it visually appealing....................From the side the eye travels from the back wheel in a straight line, rolls up and over the tank, and brings you to the headlight. Also dropping the tank means the front of the tank follows the line of the down-tube, also fits in with the bracing, and then the light protrudes from the middle of the tank.......Smooth.......Think the front guard finishes it off.........

I am kinda anal when it comes to how the eye see's lines , the one thing that ruins a build in my opinion is the rear fender struts or sissy bar not being at the same angle as the forks , its nice you appreciate my analitleality, thank you!

Very good taste. Hoop for the brake hose on the front fender?

Scott
Now that you mention it , yeah, a hoop for the brake hose is yet another one of those "attention to detail" things , Thanks for that !!

Back