Commando opinions.

willis

xsive compulsive disorder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So I have been researching my exhaust options for the 75b. While I really love the way the peashooter mufflers look, the reviews on the sound is less than appealing. I am sure I will be happy with the Commando exhaust that Mike's sells, as everyone seems to like them. I have watched videos and read posts until I went cross-eyed. My stock head pipes are in very good condition so I could easily just buy the mufflers and mount them up. My main question is, how much difference in sound would there be from running the stock double wall pipes versus the Mikes single wall 1.5" head pipes. I am wanting a bit deeper tone but wonder if the extra $170 for the bigger head pipes will really be noticeable. Is there any real advantage in running the full exhaust over just the slip on mufflers?

In short; No. Even those single wall do have some doubling in them, was just messing with a set (most likely mikes) yesterday. Most performance guides point out the exhaust ports are overly big, so fairly small headers help torque and HP at lower RPMs which is where you want them on the street.

I really like the Commando mufflers but it seems like they may not be available anymore with 1.5" inlets, only 1.75" and need reducers to fit stock headpipes. That I don't like. Those things are terrible and never seal up right. I may be shopping for something else, like this maybe .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Norton-Com...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Even though Mike's calls those mufflers they sell "Commandos", this is what a real Norton Commando Peashooter muffler looks like.

650 Central lists a Dunstall replica (re-packable), but MMM says they are 'kinda loud' 27 1/2" (I'm thinking of these for my '77)

I’ve been looking at those peashooter from comando specialties too. There’s a YouTube video of them but I’m not 100% sold. I really do love the look though.

I wasn’t aware that Mikes wasn’t offering the 1.5 mufflers any more. The only other option I am considering is a set of Quiet-er Core mufflers from Cone Engineering. I am certain I’d be happy with them but I’m looking at $300 just for the mufflers. Still need clamps and will also need mounting brackets welded on. That and they are quite a bit smaller than the commandos and not sure if they would look quite right. I’m pretty torn. I think I might have to stew on the decision for a while. I’m in no immediate hurry and don’t want to make a rash decision that I might regret later.

I really like the Commando mufflers but it seems like they may not be available anymore with 1.5" inlets, only 1.75" and need reducers to fit stock headpipes. That I don't like. Those things are terrible and never seal up .
That set of 1.75 commandos I have has been on and off 3 or 4 times on both 1.5 and 1.75 headers the emgo spacers with the S shaped split and also a one piece spacer clamped with
187270.jpg
have been sealing well and staying put. you will see a bit of soot that comes through the slot but I make sure it's at the bottom of the pipe and wipe it off when I'm cleaning the belly of the beast.

Comparo; also shows some mounting details with a 1 1/2" single wall header and the 1 3/4" commandos.

The emgo reducer stack
e18600038.jpg

Last edited:
For whatever it’s worth, I emailed mikes this morning and they promptly responded that they have in fact discontinued the 1.5 inlet version and only sell the 1.75 with reducers included

It's been some years but I believe I got my Commandos off eBay, 1.5" inlet.
A bit quieter than the Dunstall reverse cones but a lovely tone.....lol.
Adapting them to the stock double wall head pipes was a bit of a challenge but was accomplished, and if I had a mind to I could simplify that, with some observations I've made since.

Just a little follow up and FYI on these mufflers. I ordered part# 07-0065 (Commando Style Mufflers 26") from Mike's and received them in the mail today. The mufflers were still in the boxes from EMGO with their part# 80-84034 listed. Also included is the reducer that Gary posted above. When I cross referenced these mufflers I found several sources as cheap as $60 each with no tax or shipping on E-bay, or $57 on Amazon Prime. Since these do not qualify for free shipping from Mike's, you could potentially save $40 on a pair of these by buying the EMGO brand name on the internet instead of the "XS Performance" brand name from Mike's. -- Just throwing it out there for future buyers. $40 is a big difference!

Edit--- Also there is no bolt to remove from the end to adjust the sound level like I had read in previous older posts about these mufflers.

Just a little follow up and FYI on these mufflers. I ordered part# 07-0065 (Commando Style Mufflers 26") from Mike's and received them in the mail today. The mufflers were still in the boxes from EMGO with their part# 80-84034 listed. Also included is the reducer that Gary posted above. When I cross referenced these mufflers I found several sources as cheap as $60 each with no tax or shipping on E-bay, or $57 on Amazon Prime. Since these do not qualify for free shipping from Mike's, you could potentially save $40 on a pair of these by buying the EMGO brand name on the internet instead of the "XS Performance" brand name from Mike's. -- Just throwing it out there for future buyers. $40 is a big difference!

Edit--- Also there is no bolt to remove from the end to adjust the sound level like I had read in previous older posts about these mufflers.
Hey Willis, about ready to pull the trigger on these at Amazon (free shipping). Please give us your thoughts after you install 'em. Thanks.

Then these are obviously NOT the same Commando mufflers once sold by Mike's. They weren't EMGO and they had a baffle bolt, and they used to come with 1.5" inlets. It's just re-branded (EMGO) junk now, I'll be shopping for mufflers elsewhere, thank you very much.

It's just re-branded (EMGO) junk now, I'll be shopping for mufflers elsewhere, thank you very much.
I've never bought any EMGO mufflers, but I've been generally happy with the quality of the other EMGO stuff I've encountered. So I'm curious.... what makes their mufflers junk? Was really thinking about getting these.....

They're not very well made. I haven't tried this new Commando copy they're selling but did use their Dunstall replicas for a while when I first got my 650 going. On one of them, the baffle broke loose and blew out (never to be seen again, lol) after a few hundred miles. The sliding track mounts also weren't very robust and were starting to crack, but honestly, that's true for most of those track mounts. The big thing, I guess, is I just don't like 1.75 inlet mufflers that need to be sleeved down to fit. I've never had much luck with them sealing real good.

Last edited:
I too have no experience with EMGO mufflers. I am hoping to get them mounted up soon and see how they sound. I am playing with adapter options to get a good seal before I fire it up. I am a little confused though as Mike's describes these "An "XS Performance" part. Dyno tuned design by Heiden Tuning for improved power". So did Heiden design and sell it to EMGO, or did they switch mufflers they are offering and passing an EMGO unit as the old ones they used to offer?

I too have no experience with EMGO mufflers. I am hoping to get them mounted up soon and see how they sound. I am playing with adapter options to get a good seal before I fire it up
Well, I'm still interested in your opinion of them. Based on my experience with EMGO in general, I'm still willing to give 'em a shot.

So here is my plan for reducing from 1.75 to 1.50. The mufflers came with the 3pc Emgo reducers but I wasn’t crazy about stacking two of them together. I stopped at the local auto parts store and picked up some 1pc adapters with 1-5/8 ID and 1-3/4OD. It’s a very snug fit in the muffler inlet.
F771CEE9-C6BB-435B-AF43-140551304314.jpeg

Then I found the middle reducer in the 3pc Emgo was a nice snug fit on the header pipe and inside the adapter pipe. I cut small notches in the adapter pipe to fit the reducer alignment tabs and then filed down the edges and inside seam of the pipe and also the reducer.
FDF5A6E3-B405-49ED-BBE1-B04C66C9E732.jpeg 14A6C167-1F2A-4BE6-B5DD-96EAB5D96FA2.jpeg 0303CFF1-B76B-49E3-9A31-3E868E59B205.jpeg

I still need to cut the adapter pipe in half and and will use high temp RTV to fill the gap in the s-channel when installing. I just need to go grab some heavy duty clamps and adjust the hanger strap tomorrow. This feels like it’s going to be a nice tight fit though.

Last edited:
Back