Commando opinions.

Just ordered a set from Amazon. About 28 bucks cheaper for the set than Mikes and free shipping.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Good deal. Just remember and in my opinion, the gaskets work better than the spacers, and I tried to get the spacers to work.

image.jpeg
I have a pic showing a down shot of a service/center stand stop. Fabbed with aluminum , drilled to accept a seat pan bumper and secured to one of the threaded holes in the Commando mufflers slider. By the looks of the alloy it appears I used it to mix some JB Weld at some point........lol. Any flat surface in a pinch. Pre using it as a stop bracket, of course.

image.jpeg
A shot of the Special passenger foot peg and a bit of the mufflers hanger. Again, the hanger has a flat grounded on it to accept the metal flange on the passenger peg that keeps it from rotating.

I have a set of commando peashooters on my 77, with mikes head pipes. Mine are off a 750 commando, straight through with louvers inside. Has a very good sound, not obnoxious in any way, sounds like a Norton. The mounting point is not with the channel system, but with two 5/16 nf bolts into two round boss welded to the muffler. I made my own plates to mount them, and it looks very similar to a commando. Back in the late 60's I worked at a gas station in Auckland, just down the street was a Norton dealer. The mechanics would do their test rides past the station, and I would be out there listening to see what was going to go by, Triumph, Bsa or Norton. The Commando was different, had a whistle sound on the over run , really cool sound. But mine don't sound like that, as much as I would like them to. Seems the design must have changed over the years. I have friends with Commandos, and they don't whistle either. The look of the peashooters is really the main reason for them, it has to look like a 70's Brit bike.

Yes, I think those might be the next mufflers I try since I can't get the "real" MikesXS Commandos with 1.5" inlets and removable baffle bolt anymore. It's a shame really because that was one sweet muffler. Combined with MAC upswept headpipes (also N.L.A.), the system mounted up near perfectly. The mufflers sweep up enough to allow axle removal without pulling a muffler off, but still sit low enough to clear my saddlebags. When this system wears out, I'm screwed, lol .....

kFWNR4c.jpg

I got lucky and ordered a set from Mikes (xs650 Direct here in Canada) late last season and
received the old style Commandos. I also already had the upswept 1.5" header pipes that sound like may no longer be available.
xs650 Direct here in Ontario may still have the older stock mufflers and header pipes in stock on both as they dont sell alot here
compared to Mikes in the US . U could email them and ask, might get lucky!
I like the Commandos for sound and quality, pretty quiet actually, i left the removable bolts in place.Couldent really
tell any difference .I think the original pipes I had on my (now sold) 1980 xs650G sounded better.Slightly louder
and deeper. I think when mine wear out I will spring for the original early style from Mikes as I think that was the
best sounding set of pipes ever made but lots a $$
PS: Took 5T,s advise and purchased a set of rear hanger brackets from an xs500
and they mounted up basically the same as his, much stronger mount as I had the same
issues with hangers breaking and bolts coming loose or breaking.No problems now!!

Last edited:
I just had a look through the exhaust section on the Heiden Tuning site and there are no Commando mufflers to be found. Since they're the folks who "invented" them, it appears they've stopped making them. That would explain why Mike's has the EMGO brand replica now.

Sounds like false or mis-leading advertising on Mike's part. I don't want to throw them under the bus, but I bought these based on the reputation they have acquired from their use here on the forum over the years. It's kind of like they pulled a bait and switch where they changed the part but kept the same description, other than changing the inlet diameter listed.

Could one of you guys with these new EMGO Commandos take a peek down inside the end at the baffle plate? The original Commandos had about a half inch hole in the center of it tapped to accept a "plug" bolt if you wanted to quiet them down slightly. A short Allen bolt was provided for this purpose .....

ytbsvi5.jpg

I'm wondering if the EMGO version still has this tapped hole, maybe with the "plug" bolt pre-installed.

Mine just showed up about 30 min. ago..... No hole in there.

IMG_20180827_134231.jpg

About how big is the bolt hole?

I just emailed xs650 Direct here in Ontario,Canada. There going to check if
they have any of the old style left in stock. If they do maybe theres a way to get them
shipped to you in USA.

It's a 10 or 12mm bolt and hole, so maybe 3/8" to 1/2" big.

I'd keep an eye on that baffle tube, it may come flying out of there. That was the issue with my previous EMGO mufflers, a baffle broke loose and flew out after a few hundred miles. If you look at my pic of the older Commando, that baffle appears to be welded in around it's whole perimeter. I don't see any welds on yours.

Last edited:
I think that single bolt hole in the center of the baffle plate was the only "adjustable" feature on these. It does make a small difference in the sound quality but not much for the overall loudness. I tried them both ways and prefer the sound with the "plug" bolt in place, it's not as "raspy" or ragged sounding.

Back