Commando opinions.

Just got message back from xs650 Direct in Canada.Apparently they still have
old stock of the Commandos with the threaded (optional) bolt in the end of the pipes.
If u want the old styles would email them.Im sure they would make an exception and ship
them to u as Mikes no longer have and will not be getting older design.

Just emailed xs650 Direct earlier in the week to ask what the part numbers were for the OG Commando's and if they would ship to the US. They just responded that they no longer have any of these. I'm really not sure what muffler to go with; I guess I'll have to try out the EMGO version from Amazon and see how they hold up.

Hey Timothy had some stock back approx month ago or when I checked.Guess they sold it off.
I would get the Original style for the early xs650,s .They by far sound the best but lots a $$$.
They will fit later models .

650Direct canada will not ship to the States..............Here is why....

Those command exhausts are still available. I just checked, there are 7 of the Commando megaphone mufflers and 2 of the Commando universal megaphone muffler

When MikeXS business was sold the owner kept the Canadian arm of MikesXS. (650Direct). Part of the Sale agreement was that The Canadian arm was not allowed to sell to the markets that MikesXS America was selling to, and MikesXS America could not sell to the Canadian market. That means 650Direct will not/cannot sell to the states, Australia, or NZ..........There is now an Australian outlet that caused a legal issue, but that is another story.........

I live approximately 2 hrs from xs650 Direct.Never been there, maybe one day I will go by and check it out.
They have been an excellent company to deal with over the last 8 years with my xs650,s.
Mikes in US may be a lil more experienced in the product and bikes in general but warranty and returns
ect were a nitemare in comparison ! So glad xs650 Direct opened here in Ontario Canada eh!!

EMGO 80-84034 "Commando" is arriving tomorrow from Amazon. I pulled the exhaust last night to get ready for the install and polished the headers and took the opportunity to clean things that can't be accessed as easily when the stock exhaust is in the way. I pulled the passenger pegs and brackets and put a fresh coat of paint on the brackets. The stock pipes look better in pictures than they do in person and the right side is really beat up. I'll post progress pics as I go.

IMG_5647.JPG
IMG_2966.JPG

Found the exact "ni" adapter that willis used at the local Pep Boys. cut notches for the middle adapter and it seemed like it was going to work great, until I tried to fit everything together. Fitment was way too tight. I'm using the original headers. I ended up using the 2 adapters from the EMGO kit and some Copper RTV. Stock header bolt up front and then the EMGO clamp (not attached to frame) to hold the mufflers to the headers. These mufflers are super light compared to the stock mufflers, so I don't think the double attachment is necessary. I flipped the passenger peg brackets and they lined up great with muffler mount track. I used a carriage bolt with the head filed to fit the track. I actually prefer the passenger brackets this way because the peg when folded lines up with the frame and creates a much cleaner look. The left side muffler was hitting the rear axle nut for me as well and I had to use a few washers to shim it out a bit. I mounted a piece of steel l-angle between the muffler mount track and the left side foot rest bracket (as part of the shim out) and drilled a hole in it and retrofit the original rubber stop for the center stand.

I like the look a lot. The finish on the mufflers is nice. They seem like they will last a while but I am not in love with the sound. I did dead cylinder sync after install and the bike is running better than it ever has. I just wish these were louder. They have a nice low tone and the idle sounds really good. When you get on the throttle they just don't have the growl I was hoping for. I really like the people in their cages to hear me and take notice. May end up drilling a hole in the baffle at some point. Just can't bring myself to do it yet...

Your acronym is correct Fred. Certain RTV sealants can handle heat exceptionally well. Permatex Ultra Copper is designed for exhaust gasket repair and is rated to 700 deg. F.

Anyone have any opinion (dangerous way to lead off....I know) as to what diameter hole to drill and what the resulting sound difference will be? I was thinking about a 1/2' hole in the center of the plate to mimic the old tapped one that came on the Heiden version. They are just so boring sounding right now.

I plan on starting at about 1/4". You can always go bigger. Smaller.... not so much.

TimG back 8 years ago when I had my 77, I had purchased a complete set of Commandos was the 74 - 79 standards kit. I would have to go back to the invoice to check out part number but looking at the website could of been 07-0748 but were a little cheaper back then.They came with an optional 1/2" or 5/8" allen bolt that you could screw inside the muffler. I tried them and they were way too quite. Found they sounded great without them. Nice growl on decel. Looks like the mufflers reduced into the head pipes. I do miss those vs the Emgo ones I have currently on my 83.

IMG_1811.JPG

bike-3.jpg

Attachments

• bike-1.jpg
    bike-1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
OK, so I worked up the nerve to drill holes in the brand new mufflers. I started with 1/4" like JimD mentioned. There was really not much of a noticable difference. I moved up to 3/8" and there was a subtle change. I ended up with a 1/2" hole in the center of the plate and they sound much better at idle and with a throttle blip. I have not ridden them yet, so I will post my reaction when I do. The sound is still a low growl at idle without being raspy. The big difference seems to be when getting on the throttle.

Tim that’s a great looking bike you have there and a smart looking shop too! Congratulations! How about a sound bite on that bad boy?

Back