Competition and Full picture of ladieees

Ben Mccree

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings all and Happy Crimbo for tomoz.

I found this piece of metal clinging to the oil drain plug.
Questions. 1.what is it and, 2.what does it do and, 3.will it be expensive.
The prize is - street cred for anwsering all three questions.

Engine is now out and going off what I've found I think the gearbox will require some attention.
This bikes' exhaust pipes(from engine to silencer) are 1/8 inch thick, surely they don't need to be. What to you recommend for a good performance exhaust?
I've spotted a 34mm Mikuni kit for sale on ebay. It's being sold by SportingFor Less, Lockport, New York. They are a good price compaired to over here, has anyone had any dealings with this business?

Thanks all. Ben:shrug:

Attachments

• Piece out of gearbox 001.jpg
    Piece out of gearbox 001.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 288
  • Piece out of gearbox 002.jpg
    Piece out of gearbox 002.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 286
  • Piece out of gearbox 003.jpg
    Piece out of gearbox 003.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 247
  • 2009 TT 016.jpg
    2009 TT 016.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 374
Looks like the fingers off the shifter drum "bad news"
As far as sporting for less i bought a pair of those carbs off of them a couple of years back and they shipped them real fast.The funny part is i'm in Canada right across the border from NY state and they actually shipped them out of Toronto.I have no complains about them and the carbs came jetted real nice for an XS650 with free flowing exhaust and they sure wake up that engine.

- not sure but the first looks to be the end of a shifter fork - the second looks like the spline off the side of 5th gear and the third looks like a dog off the side of the gear - but its late evening here and im not seeing straight after xmas dinner and a few :smoke:

- whatever they are seems this gearbox has stopped suddenly

Last edited:
Sporting For Less has mixed reviews from everything I've read. Apparently they jet some of the kits they send out and others they do not. That way when someone complains, someone else is there to share a good experience (just what I've read). If you don't get the correct jetting, you'll probably spend more on getting the correct jetting than what you saved. :shrug: I bought my Mikuni 34mm Carbs from 650Central and highly recommend getting them from there. He's a great guy with great customer service and support and that's worth something to me.

- if you havent already started pulling it down, you should be able to turn the motor over and remove the bottom case-gives you access to the gearbox...dont forget about the hidden screws - 1 on the rhs behind the clutch holding the back of the crank bearing seat and the 2 on the lhs behind the front sprocket holding the drive shaft bearing seat...there are 18 bolts all together...start with the bolt behind the oil filler and loosen half turn

- when putting her back together dont use silicone use three-bond and replace the seals

- knew i had photos somewhere...looks like these?

Nocke-1.jpg

- 5th gear dog
Gang5-1.jpg

- from here

inxs,

I think you have hit the nail on the head, pictures are identical to the piece I have here. You win for your zeal. Thanks Ben. By the way I've aquired a pair of mikunis from sportingforless in New York and he is telling me to remove the air jets. Is this common practise Ben

Yes, remove air jets is std for these bikes.

I've heard stories like above that only a few SFL sets come properly set up, though I've not heard from any who've bought them (till bigal piped up). Be great to hear your thoughts on them when you get them (is it just a well travelled rumour? Or maybe they've sorted out whatever problem they MAY have had). Even better if you could pull them down & let us know what bits are inside! :cheers:

- in this case Ben, there are no winners...agreed that air jet removal is common...and would be good to know how the carbs are set up as yamaman suggests, not only so you know what youre dealing with but so that we get an idea about how sfl thinks too:thumbsup:

I would also be interested in know what they shipped with for jetting! I've heard all the rumors too. So when you get them, first thing you need to do is take them apart and post what you find! :D

Gear........Ratcheting and a super weak 5th with the fork groove being between the dogs and the gear.......I got rid of the ratcheting and stay in 4th with the tall gears now till I clear the ramp on the express so its turning..........as the dog excapes it can bend the forks too....ratcheting is what tears up the clutch springs too....... :yikes: xsjohn

Gear...I got rid of the ratcheting and stay in 4th xsjohn

Bit confussed with what you mean, when the dogs go on the 5th gear, I thought you lost 3rd gear, at least that's what it did when it happened to me.

Last edited:
Looks like mine was 5th.......just looked and 3rd lools like it has the shift fork groove between the dogs too.......so there is 2 huckelberries in there .....great......don't know how to post pics here ....would show a pic if I did.......

xsjohn

Did put a pic in my photos of a trans from 650motorcycles.....

Hi John, pretty easy to post pics here, just hit the post reply button (you know, where you get the smilies available)

Then scroll down to "manage attachments" button, that brings up another window with browse buttons........You'll have it sussed by then! :cheers:

Thanks....rather be looking and working on naked ladies than gears anyway........xsjohn

ok way down there...thanks Yamaman...:banghead:

the 2 dogs that shed their nuts.........5th and 3rd (Thanks jay760)

Looks like if the chunks have a grooves (see above posts) in them they are 5th and if not they are 3rd.....see below

Attachments

• Gear Pairs.jpg
    Gear Pairs.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
- if you look at your original photo it shows 5th gear...you wont need to strip the engine to fix this - turn it on its head and remove the lower case, you can then lift the gears out and inspect the rest

Back