Complete Novice, First Build.

Tapps

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi.
This is my first ever build, with virtually no ''Wrenching" experience.
I picked up this 1979 XS650 that had been sitting for almost a decade. It came with the original title (Filled in by hand!) And I believe it was in original specs.
I took a while to decide if I wanted to restore or chop it. As she was untouched...but my bucket list was calling.
I had the TC Bros hardtail sitting on my bench for over 6 weeks, trying to pluck up courage to make that first cut.
I practiced welding, and then yesterday I finally cut it. (Because the guy that taught me welding, was going to be dropping in that day anyway, so he could sort out my screwups)

I followed the instructions that come with the frame, and it was cut when he got here.

In the end, I relented and let the professional weld it on for me. But now she sits, waiting for the next step.
I love forward controls, but this baby will also be raced in the dirt, so I'm sticking with mid controls.

I've seen some people use original mounts rewelded back on to the new hardtail. But I think it looks a bit cluttered for me.

I have no clue what goes back on. I'm simply looking at as many pics as I can. Then try to interpret what I've seen.

If you could please send many pics. Especially behind the carbs and under the seat....
I may go kick only, and not have a battery, or it has been suggested that I get a small lithium battery and hide it all in a dummy oil can....

I need pics, pics, pics!!!!

Thanks

Tapps

Attachments

• 20200621_141743.jpg
    20200621_141743.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 163
  • 20200621_181645.jpg
    20200621_181645.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 20200621_181729.jpg
    20200621_181729.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 158
Hi Tapps,

my first thought is that you might need to do some thinking about what you want to end up with. Clearly, you already have some idea of how you want the bike to end up. Then, spend some time on the forum and have a look at what other people have done and how they did it. Then you'll be able to work out what you need and hopefully it will all come together as a plan.

Hi Tapps,

my first thought is that you might need to do some thinking about what you want to end up with. Clearly, you already have some idea of how you want the bike to end up. Then, spend some time on the forum and have a look at what other people have done and how they did it. Then you'll be able to work out what you need and hopefully it will all come together as a plan.

I have some idea of how I WANT it to come out. However, I believe it may morph itself as I go.
For example, an older gentleman, insisted on giving me a sissy bar, that was on his home made chop, that he did the dragon on in the 70's....its HUGE but I feel obliged to use it...lol (see pic)
I did see how some people had used the original footpeg/brakemounts by welding that piece back on the new frame. It looks good in their pics, but it looked way too busy for my taste when I tried it last night...I want this too look as simple and stripped down as possible.
I checked out Jump Street Customs, for mid controls, but no luck.
I may go with Monster garage MC, if I can still mount the original exhaust headers there too.

As I said, I am a complete novice. I'm 'Flying Blind'..even simple things like brackets, and what I need to keep, and what electrical parts even do, is a challenge for me...but I'm enjoying bugging people for info..I mean, I'm enjoying learning...lol

Attachments

• 20200621_192115.jpg
    20200621_192115.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 152
Back