Compression release - Rare ?

Rotten Egg

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I picked up a load of parts recently, and included was 2 compression releases.
The guy told me they were Yamaha pieces (optional ?), and that they were pretty rare.

One is complete with the valve cover, the other is missing the valve cover & cable

So are they as rare as he said?
What bikes did they come on?
Anyone using them?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 265-75R16 load range E by crosswind (2).jpg
    265-75R16 load range E by crosswind (2).jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 304
  • 265-75R16 load range E by crosswind (3).jpg
    265-75R16 load range E by crosswind (3).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC06162 (3).JPG
    DSC06162 (3).JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC06165 (3).JPG
    DSC06165 (3).JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC06171 (3).JPG
    DSC06171 (3).JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 383
If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will jump in but the first XS I ever saw was my mates back in the 70s. It had electric start but a small battery. Turning over a 650 twin would have flattened the battery fairly quickly so yamaha organised a decompressor. A trigger on the handlebars activated the electric start and at the same time lifted one of the valves (the exhaust??). The bike had compression on only one cyclynder and was therefore easier to turn over. The other cylynder would fire and when the trigger was released the second would chime in. It could be possible that this is an item with potential to be retro-fitted but I can't see why you would want to.

Later machines (I believe) have a bigger space for the battery and I can see reliabity of starting problems (if you had a weakness on the firing side). I thought it was pretty cool the way it sounded and maybe custom guys would want to do it "for the kicks". Of course someone who has an XS1 with these bits missing would want them too.

Dave

The compression release was only on the 72 XS2 which was the first year for the electric start. I believe they dropped it in 73. I had a new 73 in 73 but I don't remember it having the release at the valve just the lever under the controls for the electric start on the 73. Just looked at the only old photo of my 73 and I think I do see a cable going to the left side so maybe it did have the complete release.

Attachments

• Yama 650 full shot Apr 10 005.jpg
    Yama 650 full shot Apr 10 005.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 463
  • 73 TX 650 Yamaha only pic.jpg
    73 TX 650 Yamaha only pic.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
I know they came on the '73's cause I've had two of them and they both have them. I'm pretty sure they made the starter better in '74 and did away with them.

Which prompts another question. I have several late starters and the starter on the 73 sounds pretty bad. Can I put a later starter on my 73 or do I need to rebuild the spring on the original starter and put it back on? Sorry, didn't mean to hyjack the thread. Seemed like a good time to ask.

I agree. The release does no good without the early cam lever for the left side. So it's only value would be to someone with a 72 or 73 or someone with a early cam lever.

If you had the rocker arm to go with them.They are great for a high compresion motor. Yamaha changed the cam profile on the newer motors from what I understand. They used the opening and closeing ramps as the compession release.

Yeah as above, not really per se but only on the '72 and '73 I think. I have a '72. If you want to sell those I'd be interested for a spare or one to polish while mine is on the bike..

JB

Back