Compression (top) ring frozen in groove...

Sundie

Jabroni
Reaction score
Hey all.

I've got a piston that sat in the engine long enough that the top compression ring is frozen in the groove.

Any magic methods to get this out easily?

The piston is fine otherwise, so i'd like to save it.

You may have some luck with PB blaster. Soak piston over night if its off of the connecting rod or just spray it if its still on the rod. After its been thoroughly soaked you might try tapping it in several places with a soft plastic hammer to loosten it.. Also if the piston is off the rod you could try heating it in an oven......BG

right now i'm boiling it in a mix of low aromatic cleaners. I'll let that go for a few hours. then i'll move on to baking.

Yeah, it's off the rod - it was totally filthy. I'll push some pics up. This engine was *totally* disgusting in the combustion chambers.

Here's the pics. A lot of carbon/oil buildup.

Attachments

• head-small.jpg
    head-small.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 167
  • piston-small.jpg
    piston-small.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 151
Most likely alot of carbon between the ring groove and the ring unless there was water or moisture in the cylinder then it could be rust on the ring. Another product that works well is Berryman Chem Dip. Very toxic and smells awfull but does an excellent job of disolving crud. Really good for carb cleaning but it will disolve plastic and swell rubber... I'm getting a bit off topic here so let us know how the boiling baking works out.....BG

Boiling allowed me to lever one end of the ring out. Then i could just work my way around.

After groove cleaning, and cleaning/wet sanding the dome, the result.

Who says OCD is a disadvantage? :D

Attachments

• clean-piston-small.jpg
    clean-piston-small.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 165
Back