Connect Spark Plug Wire to Ignition Coil?

DrDelight

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
xs650side.jpg

Hey everyone, I have a '72 XS2 that's been sitting in my garage for the last 23 years, and I want to get it out and onto the road. This will be my first project, so I've spent the last few months slowly doing research to figure out what I can before asking for help.

Everything seems sound electronically, albeit for a sticky horn and an (initially) sticky signal relay. The motor has no problems turning over either.

I'm at the point of introducing some spark, but I can't seem to find how to properly install my spark plug wires into the existing ignition coils. Here are some photos:

IMAG1675.jpgIMAG1676.jpg

The connector is about 5/8" from outer edge to outer edge of the threads, and I don't have the piece that threads onto it. I have a couple of questions:

-Is there any way I can find such pieces?

-What sort of terminal might I need to crimp onto the end, and would generic rubber boots work?:

pi_20405.jpeg

http://www.diablocycle.com/Ignition-Wire-Dust-Boot-and-Connector-Set.html

-Would I be better off buying a new set of coils?

Thanks in advance for any tips in the right direction. :)

well, just to get spark to the plugs for testing, look into the coil, see the pointy treaded thing in there? Just take your spark plug wire, and screw it in there. The pieces you are missing is a rubber donut, and a plastic collar that locks it all down.

Thanks guys, definitely way easier than I was making it out to be. I actually got the thing running! The only problem seems to be something sticking in the carb. Got my shopping list done up, Will hopefully be road-worthy in the next few weeks. :)

Baby steps, bud. Baby steps. Hearing the engine roar to life makes you want to stay up all night, and ride cross country!!

Thanks guys, definitely way easier than I was making it out to be. I actually got the thing running! The only problem seems to be something sticking in the carb. Got my shopping list done up, Will hopefully be road-worthy in the next few weeks. :)

Hi Doc and welcome,
the first item on your shopping list is new tires and inner tubes, right?

Back