connecting timing chain

Personally I have had zero luck with that. I have read of people attaching it, sliding it over the cam, minus the bearings, and then prying the cam back up, but I am sure that is not good to do.

Might want to see if someone will loan one to you. Unfortunatley, mine is currently on loan to my friend....who won't answer his phone.

Personally I have had zero luck with that. I have read of people attaching it, sliding it over the cam, minus the bearings, and then prying the cam back up, but I am sure that is not good to do.

Might want to see if someone will loan one to you. Unfortunatley, mine is currently on loan to my friend....who won't answer his phone.

That's how I did mine 8 thousand miles ago....though I guess I didn't know any better , maybe I'm just stupid lucky.....

Is there any way to attach the master link without a cam chain tool??

yes use two hammers using one as a buck (backstop) and a cold chisel to split the pin ends, cut a X into the pins, don't over do it just enough so the plate can't come off, helps to have someone helping holding the back stop as you hit the chisel

Ahh, ya after I read Jayel's reply I thought that's what you meant. He has a sound method there.
I will add from my gun work days, after you make that little "X" in the end of the rivet, use a punch in the center to spread it out a little.

I've been giving this some thought. I'm going to try and bring the chain ends together with some tie wire. I'm talking about the fairly heavy duty stuff that rebar is tied together with on bridge forms. Loop the wire through the last full link of the chain and start twisting the wire. Theoretically it should pull the chain ends together far enough to slip the master link in position.

If that fails I'll just break down and buy the chain tool from mikes.

how do i go about cutting this X again

Put the master link thru the chain as usual and put the cap on. Use something dense and metal, like another big hammer to act like an anvil on the "head" side of the rivet. Get someone to hold it steady in that position. Using the chisel, and another hammer, cut a small "X" in the rivet's other end. Be careful not to split the rivet though. This will make the end mushroom out a bit and make it unable to back out of the chain. You can hit a punch in the center of the "X" making it peen out some more.

pretty sure you can use a clip on style master link, just be sure it points in the correct direction.

i would highly suggest to just buy the tool. i spent so much time trying the hammer method, the c-clamp method. it was killing me. then i got the correct tool for the job and seriously not even a minute to finish the job. and now whenever i need to do any engine work i dont even have to think about messing with moving the bearings and shit. just bought a few extra master links when i got the tool.

I watched a friend do it and it totally boogered up the gasket surface on his bike. That's why I warn of that.

Disclaimer-
The light just came on. I have an '83 which doesn't have the advance rod(?) through the cam. Easy to slip a large Phillips into the hollow cam to get the extra lift to slip the bearings on. Of course, like JL posted to slack the chain.

I have the tool and use it (love it, too) but I'm sure you could do an adequate job with just the "X" cut, pin punch, then peening. Yes, start with an "X" cut in each pin, not too deep as mentioned .....

XCut.jpg

Follow that with the tool or the pin punch. Besides helping the end to spread, the "X" cut also helps hold the pin of the tool centered as you tighten it down. I had problems with the tool pin slipping off to the side of the link pin before I started using the "X" cut .....

PinsAfterTool.jpg

Finish by peening the pin heads with the round side of a small ball peen hammer. As you can see, the results can be quite good .....

CamChainLink.jpg

Better I think in fact than the factory rivet job which was crude, to put it nicely, lol .....

FactoryLink.jpg

I've been giving this some thought. I'm going to try and bring the chain ends together with some tie wire. I'm talking about the fairly heavy duty stuff that rebar is tied together with on bridge forms. Loop the wire through the last full link of the chain and start twisting the wire. Theoretically it should pull the chain ends together far enough to slip the master link in position.

If that fails I'll just break down and buy the chain tool from mikes.

Its not that hard to get the 2 ends together so the master will go in.
the tool that they are talking about does not do that anyway

When you lay both ends of the chain up on the cam sprocket, that holds the ends together for you, no need to wire anything. Then you just stick the master link in.

I took a piece of heavy twine...ran it through both open ends of the chain..took the twine and fastened around a rubber grip handle of a hammer. Twisted the hammer which tensioned the twine and brought the chain together to insert the master link...1st try!

Back