Constant problems

Stretch78

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, very new to the xs650 world and anything other than sport bikes and diet bikes in general. I got my xs650 almost two months ago and have been plagued with minor issues that keep the bike from running for more than 4 consecutive days. I've extensively cleaned the carbs, and all that fun stuff but I keep having problems.
1. It eats spark plugs - I run NGK BR7ES plugs but they go out constantly, acting like the bike runs rich but the air/fuel mixture seems perfect at idle (not high revving or dying) what plugs do others run?
2 and most recent was today, I just replaced plugs again and I was riding around the block and it ran fine while riding through 2nd gear and at idle but when I was idling in neutral or in gear with the clutch engaged and tried to Rev it would choke and want to die until I released the throttle and it went back to idle. No clue why this would be happening.
ANY help is greatly appreciated guys, thank you!

As in most cases, more info is required. What year/model XS650? What brand/type/size of carbs? Old jets, new aftermarket "jet kits", or new, genuine Mikuni jets? Engine mileage, recent overhauls, compression test, etc? Points, TCi, or aftermarket ignition? OEM coils or aftermarket? PMA, stock alternator, battery or capacitor? All these things may influence the troubleshooting procedure required!

As in most cases, more info is required. What year/model XS650? What brand/type/size of carbs? Old jets, new aftermarket "jet kits", or new, genuine Mikuni jets? Engine mileage, recent overhauls, compression test, etc? Points, TCi, or aftermarket ignition? OEM coils or aftermarket? PMA, stock alternator, battery or capacitor? All these things may influence the troubleshooting procedure required!
.... and you should do as arcticXS and many others do and include all that info in your "signature." That way every time you comment, that info will be visible. Good luck and welcome to the wacky world of XS's :D

1978 xs650, aftermarket TC brothers mikuni carb kit. Last I checked was getting 150 on both sides for compression, stock alternator, DEI coils

So VM34s? What air filter setup? New intake rubbers? (Stock rubbers are not a perfect fit on VM34 and RS34s, so can cause a lean condition. That applies for both BS38 and the later BS34 rubbers, although some make the latter work)
Is your battery healthy? What battery voltage do you see at 2-3000 rpm? Have you checked for voltage drop to the coil positive terminal, with that side points closed? What ohm value (primary winding resistance) are your coils? What are the main, needle, pilot jets in your carbs? Then refer to the carb guide threads for recommendations.

So VM34s? What air filter setup? New intake rubbers? (Stock rubbers are not a perfect fit on VM34 and RS34s, so can cause a lean condition. That applies for both BS38 and the later BS34 rubbers, although some make the latter work)
Is your battery healthy? What battery voltage do you see at 2-3000 rpm? Have you checked for voltage drop to the coil positive terminal, with that side points closed? What ohm value (primary winding resistance) are your coils? What are the main, needle, pilot jets in your carbs? Then refer to the carb guide threads for recommendations.
Dual filter pods from mikesxs.com, stock manifolds for now, I have absolutely no idea with anything else, bike has no gauges of any kind

Well, to do any meaningful electrical troubleshooting, you need a multimeter. A timing light and a coil /ignition tester (like those used on chainsaws etc) is also useful.

The condition of the plugs can often be a good tell of what’s going on. As you stated, they are being eaten. Post a picture if you can.
My general rule for troubleshooting is to revisit the last maintenance, modification or repair that was done to the bike. Very often, something was missed, not tightened down or bodged the last time it was wrenched. Since you may not know what was done before you bought the bike, you may be at a disadvantage. However, from your description, it seems as though carb and air intake work was done.

The condition of the plugs can often be a good tell of what’s going on. As you stated, they are being eaten. Post a picture if you can.
My general rule for troubleshooting is to revisit the last maintenance, modification or repair that was done to the bike. Very often, something was missed, not tightened down or bodged the last time it was wrenched. Since you may not know what was done before you bought the bike, you may be at a disadvantage. However, from your description, it seems as though carb and air intake work was done.
It had the mikuni vm34 carbs installed, I have absolutely no idea if the jetting is right and carburettors are not my forte, I'm trying to replace the pod filters and do the billet aluminum manifolds soon and potentially re jetting the carbs if I can figure out what to do

Back