converting to points

Simple Bob

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello to all,
Not to long ago I picked up an 80 xs650 heritage special that I have decided to bob it out. During my tear down and reading several if the great forums that are posted on here on daily basis, was wondering about the ignition system :umm:. I currently have an electronic ignition but I think I would like to convert it to points. My reasoning behind this is less wires and that stupid black box, and the simplicity of it I think:confused:. How hard would it be to convert this setup and what would be needed to do so? Also is this a good option with working around a TIGHT budget for my build. Please any input would be great and thanks for all the help. Kevin.....:bike:

That black box has got my 80 down the road 76 thousand miles and has never missed a lick nor have I ever had to dick with it.......except for retarding the timing a bit which they need.......crankshaft ignitions are accurate.....xsjohn

John thanks for the reply. I definitely understand the basis behind it and agree that is a good thing but I would like to go as clean as possible with this build

you would need the advance rod and auto advance mechanism, seals and bushing, points plate, points and condensers and a different coil, it could be done but you're probably better off with the black box, and I'm a points guy

If you're bound and determined, rather than do points, do this.

All the cleanliness of points with none of the headache of consensers and points.

I'm with John though. Until the box blows up, use it. It's good.

You may feel that points wiring is cleaner electrically, but the electronic iggy is vastly cleaner mechanically. As a electro-mech tech I have many more issues with mechanical failures than electrical related probs.

+3 on keep the black box. This from a guy who is messing with my first points bike in ages as I fix up a Kowwie CSR 305 for my daughter (wish it had a black box)

Thanks sundie.. I like that idea as well as the others. being that im on a tight budget i will prob just leave the box for now and try to find some place to hide it. I guess converting could be done but after lookin up all the parts that i need and the work involved in the process it seems that this will be the best bet for the time being.

Fixing a black box has been done may times as I have watched on these boards....and buying a spare is maybe a good investment as they are always going up in price.........and the large circle on the crankshaft gives a very accurate spark as compared to the half time small circle jittery camshaft variety.......not to say they are bad ....just I always though the TCI was a definite improvement .....I carry a spare TCI in my small fairing..........just a simple plug in to change out even on the road in 5 min.........never needed it...so far.........with the stator round cover opened a bit everything down there runs 130 degrees as compared to 180+ so failure of the pickup coil is not probable....water hurts nothing...did find that cleaning the wiring harnes well and using dielectric grease may keep these running on a long time.......76 thou on this original...........but they are timed a bit advanced for decent lower revs.........need to be retarded 1/8" ..........mine is at .168 thou retard for the very tall gears......a have to there........

xsjohn

xsjohn great info thanks. question on the black box. it there a way to determine if it functioning by poss. using a volt meter ( off of the bike of course)

Bob .....thanks for the kind word.....Wish I could answer the fix question......never tried that myself....others have successfully though........I just collected some spares when they were giving them away.....must be some replacements out there or coming soon...if not it seems to be a basic electrical gadget.....a transistor or sometimes just a solder joint if it does fail....keeping a good clean well connected wiring harness might be one secret to longivity.......and luck being the other like most things.......xsjohn

good to known i will continue to look into this as it gets closer to being complete thanks... heck i guess it wouldnt hurt to look for a spare as well just in case

Yea........it just plugs in once with a multi connector.......once you know where that plug is it's just a moment till you know if the first has failed......no ground or anything.......just unplug and plug in the new one.......leave it dangle till you got home kind of thing if you had to.....never had to do that yet though.....

If you are building a custom ....might be something to be said for not hiding everything so it to hard to get too......:banghead:

Dielectric grease makes those plugs come apart easier.........dang I needed 2 pair of pliers the first time I cleaned then to get them apart......here is some pic's again.......sorry to post this so much......but I would be dead have been on the road more than once if I hadn't done it.....and it wouldn't run near so good.........

xsjohn

Attachments

• Timing.jpg
    Timing.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 313
  • TOP COOLER.jpg
    TOP COOLER.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Back