Cool/Cold Weather Gloves

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for a pair of gloves to wear here in Michigan for these days where the roads are clear but yet the temp is anywhere from 30 to 50 degrees.

Sound off and let me know what you're wearing.

Since I'm still riding and the weather is on the cool side I needed something better than the non-insulated work gloves I was wearing. I tooled on down to my local dealer and found these. They aren't for the coldest riding but I wore them out of the store and they helped quite a bit. It's 40 degrees today and sprinkling.

Back in college I found a pair of Apex gloves in a classroom (someone had forgotten them). Wore those for general cold weather (before I got into bikes) and really liked them. Unfortunately my local dealer doesn't carry them in the store so I went with these Castle brand gloves.
Gloves.jpg

I ended up getting several different kinds of mittens and this is the best for riding. I've used them down into the 20s F. with no finger coldness. Before, what I thought were pretty good gloves left my fingers so cold I couldn't even undo my helmet strap until they warmed up. These mittens tuck real well under a knitted jacket cuff and stay. Between the shell and the lining they have a plastic layer, which makes them absolutely windproof. If I was going to be riding for hours on a dreary gray day, I'd take along some heat packs for extra comfort, but they aren't necessary.

Here's one link where you can order them, but I was able to buy them at a local workwear store. For extra dexterity, you can partially separate the liner from the shell. To do that, reach down to the finger area and hold the attachment there and tear it loose from the shell. The attachment is a piece of cloth about 1/2" square. I know what's in there because I bought also an extra large pair to use as a windproof shell over some boiled wool mittens, so I gutted the lining out of that pair. I did the partial separation on the regular pair because my fingers were having to pull against the upper part of the glove to operate the levers.

https://www.worktoolsanduniforms.com/catalog5/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=7&products_id=4328

http://www.nationalworkwear.com/berne/waterproofmittenglv95.htm

After spending a fair share of my life working as a farm hand. Cutting fire wood, tending cows, hunting.
A good pair of mittens are the warmest. A glove of the same insulating factor can let your finger get cold. In a glove each finger is on it's own, in a mitten they can keep each other warm.
A mitten is harder to work in. It makes using the controls a bit harder.
A short cuffed glove or mitten lets air get in between the glove/mitten and your sleeve. A good riding glove/mitten should have long gauntlets that have ample room to fit up over your sleeve. As air blows across your hand the gauntlet keeps the air from getting in your sleeve, the air flows up your arm instead.
Some of the best cold weather gear can be found at snowmobile dealers. There jackets, pants, suits and boots are designed to keep you warm and dry. They keep out the wind as well as the wet.
I have tried many gloves and mittens over the years and have found they all lack something, warth, dexterity. I recently got a pair of half breed glove/ mittens. They are like mittens but they are split in half so two finger go in each half.
They are much more nimble than mittens and warmer than gloves. I have used them out snowblowing and ice fishing in zero degree temps and even after a couple hours my hand are still warm.
If the roads where clear I would get one of the bikes out and see how wind resistant they are.
I have had several gloves/mittens work fine in the cold snowblowing or ice fishing but riding they need to be windproof to.
They cost me either $22 or $24.

There are these legendary wool mittens called Dachsteins. They;re shrunken wool and are reported to even be windproof even without a shell. Mt. Everest type gear. BTW, some of the mountain climbing mittens are interesting and have more flexibility. I tried some on but they get pretty expensive and seemed like overkill.

Got to looking at the gloes. They have the manufactures web address in them www.ganka.ca They are French Canadian. They are sheepskin, removable liners. 5 inch gauntlet. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 50-GKS-701 new gloves.jpg
    50-GKS-701 new gloves.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 197
Back