Cool Old Cars Two

BTW, Westfall is the guy who made my belt in the 70's
leather 010.JPG
when he worked at a headshop in Syracuse,
but when you bump into him at a bar, he's still braggin', for good reason, about this:

Syracuse man races cross-country on 1924 motorcycle

By Alaina Potrikus, The Post-Standard
on October 04, 2012 at 5:57 PM, updated October 05, 2012 at 6:30 AM

11660502-large.jpg

Frank Westfall poses for a photo Thursday with his 1924 Henderson Deluxe motorcycle outside his Middle Earth Leather business in Syracuse. With him is his friend, Jim Dunford, of Syracuse, who was Westfallâs chase man and mechanic on a cross-country race.
When Frank Westfall bought his 1924 Henderson motorcycle in the early 1990s, the bike had seen better days.
“There were weeds growing through the gas tank,” Westfall said. “There was so much rust that the spokes popped off like dried spaghetti strands.”
Last month, the antique bike carried Westfall on a nearly 4,000-mile journey, as he took part in the cross-country Cannonball Endurance Run for motorcycles built before 1930.
The race began Sep. 7 in the Hudson Valley, at the Motorcyclepedia museum in Newburgh. The group rolled into San Francisco by way of the Golden Gate Bridge on Sep. 23. Westfall finished first in his class and sixth overall in the race, where winners are determined in part by the age of the bike and the age of the rider.

I think the Edsel had a push button transmission - along with a lot of other electrical gear. Aside from the Odd-ball styling of the front grill (journalists charitably referred to it as a “horse collar”) one of the Edsel’s key difficulties was keeping all those electrical systems working with the technologies of the day. The electromechanical relays and winky wiring were simply a nightmare.

yup, Edsel had a push-button tranny and the buttons were built into the hub of the steering wheel. Check out this excellent video....

Last edited:
Its hard to reconcile the same company that made the Edsel went on to make the GT40. As an aside I really enjoyed the Netflix 24 Hour War documentary.

My 1st car in 1970... 1964 Chevy Impala SS 327 with Powerglide Auto. trans. This car is exactly the same as the one i had...Borrowed this img. from Hemmings since i have no surviving pictures of my actual car...paid $500 for it too..
64141904-770-0@2X.jpg

My 1st car in 1970... 1964 Chevy Impala SS 327 with Powerglide Auto. trans. This car is exactly the same as the one i had...Borrowed this img. from Hemmings since i have no surviving pictures of my actual car...paid $500 for it too..
64141904-770-0@2X.jpg
Pretty sure that is the same year and model a kid I went to high-school with had, he I believe inherited or was given it by his grand mother. I seem to recall when he first got it in had the straight six with powerglide but think he had that swapped out for a 327 or some other V-8. that would have been either 1967 or 1968 so it was still a pretty new car at the time.

The '60 Edsel did not have that "Horsecollar" grill. An older friend of mine said he had an Edsel and said it was a good car. Maybe it was built on a Wed.

My dad had a '65 Chevy Biscayne (sorry, no picture). I think it was one of the first cars he bought brand new. It looked like the '64 Impala, only totally stripped down. Inline 6, 3-speed auto, drum brakes, no power steering...no extra nothing. What my dad called "a workin' man's car. I would love to have one, just to have one, ya know?

Not sure if this would qualify as "Cool" but is one that got passed around the family First was older brothers then dads and finally me. 383 2 barrel! I actually for got how big it was till I searched for a picture online. So I dug out the manual, yes still have it! That car was 2 .5 feet longer and 1/2 a foot wider than wife's Nissan Rouge! 383 two barrel, push button automatic!
1960 Dodge Matador.png

Back