Cool Old Cars

You could resto mod a 56 Vicky with say a Super Snake running gear and suspension and brakes ..
Funny yr anti carb and riding a carbed bike...my other bike has Fuel Injection designed by Mc Laren and controlled by Power Commander V and Dynoed by the best tuner DownUnder.
That's the Vic not the C90

Actually, I'm not riding a carbed bike any more. Sold the XS, riding an FJ. Tho, to be honest, the carbs are not what motivated me to sell it.

In my humble opinion Barret Jackson and the rest of these auto auctions ruined the fun of owning a classic car. They went from being an enjoyable hobby that mechanically inclined guys could enjoy to , being investments for wealthy baby boomers. Most of that old Detroit iron ( with maybe the exception of Cadillac) were never expensive cars. The 50's and early 60's were styling exercises, then came my personal favorite era, the muscle car. Those cars for the most part were all motor, with poor brakes and suspension. But they were tons of fun and affordable.
I've been to Barrett Jackson many times, and while they are great fun to walk around and look, I really do feel they are directly responsible for jacking the price of what was once just a fun hobby to sky high levels. For Gods sake you're not buying a Van Gogh painting here!

The reality of the situation, however, is that I'd NEVER go back to carbureted engines, drum brakes and the sorry excuse for suspension that comes with nostalgia. Now if you could drop that '56 Vicky on a modern running gear...

That is what I did. 1965 Mustang coupe with a SEFI Mustang engine with all the Cobra go-fast goodies and five speed tranny. Stupid fast and does everything with a shriek. All the suspension stuff, limited slip, modern AC and interior. It's been my daily driver for ten years and 100K miles. Not the safest thing on the road and sucks in the rain but damn... is it ever fun to drive. Fairly cheap too.
IMG_1113.JPG

@ mailman: Agree 100%. I was in High School 1964-1968 and a teenaged male until 1970. The peak of the muscle car years and I was so broke I couldn't pay attention. But Sweet Baby Jesus, the cars...

@ thatXS650guy: NICE! I'd really enjoy seeing more pictures if you are willing.

.... I grew up in Buick's.... my father was a Buick man. Fireball 8's... Road Masters, Century's.... can't recall which had 4 or 3 port holes. The last car he owned was a 60' La Saber .. 2 dht, a grey float'n barge.
I'm sure we can all list the cars we had back in the day... now go'n for serious $$$$ at auctions.. but back then they were just neat old Chevys and such. My biggest regret... bought a 67' SS Nova, 327 4 speed.... 1980... $400.oo... (southern Oregon). Move'd to Minnesota a couple years later.. sold the Nova.. think'n I'd get one here.... Aaaaaaaaaaargh.... I quickly learn'd the term " rust belt ". Now.. Nova's start at $25,000.oo...

Closest I came to owning a muscle car was a '69 Nova SS, 350/350. Started to build it, then got married.

December 31st, 1974, 7:00AM, single, not a care in the world.
December 31st, 1974, 7:00PM, married, wife, three kids, house payment, car payment.

Doesn't take a genius to figure out what happened to the Nova...

You`ve got the absolutely correct mag wheel of all time. American Racing Torq-Thrust D???

Bought an '87 C4 from my brother several years ago and the 1st thing I did was add American Racing Torque Thrust wheels to it.
I owned a '57 Vette with them and a '57 BelAir also. Both gone, sadly. Sold the '87 2 months ago. Not sad.

Attachments

• New Vette June 16 019.JPG
    New Vette June 16 019.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 57 view2.jpg
    57 view2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 57 Vette plate.jpg
    57 Vette plate.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 109
Your 57 Bel Air is identical to my 1st car. Same color. Mine had the 283 Power Pack (4bbl dual exh) Powerglide though. Started out with Baby Moons then went to ET`s. I still have 2 sets of Torq-Thrust`s. Polished on my Caprice and grey spokes on a 55 Chevy.
Tarina back to school kids 061.JPG

P.S. The stance of your 57 vette is as God intended!

The BelAir was an all white stocker when I bought it...283/auto. I rebuilt the engine and added a 4-speed and 4-11 gears, + paint and wheels. My friend who owned a dealership told me never to sell it......that was in '66
The pic of the Vette is for the license plate...I waited at the county clerks office for 3 days in order to get it. Lucky for me, The guy in front only wanted one plate.

Back