1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Corona Virus COVID-19

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gggGary, Feb 28, 2020.

1. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I see what you mean about how hard it is to discuss without politics... :rolleyes:

buzzword and Jim like this.
  2. grizld1

grizld1 Grumpy old man Top Contributor

Politics, Gary? What politics? As far as I understand him, Buzz made a very general comment on character and asserted his personal values regarding responsible conduct and respect for others. Of course extreme ideologues might construe any call for civic responsibility as a political statement that threatens their personal rights, and some folks are ready to fight for the right to be a plague rat. It's a shame that we've come to that. The voice of Bart Simpson is loud in the land: "Don't tell me what to do!"

3. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

The need to manage disease is mankind's lot..

Edited 3 times so far.

buzzword and Jim like this.
  4. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

In our current environment, things do get clouded by politics and I'm glad we tiptoe around it here. No good comes from having that discussion. I love ya, brothers, no matter how ya vote. No need to die on social media mountain trying to change someone's ideology. Be well, my friends.

5. buzzword

buzzword XS650 Addict

Yep. And, despite what one may infer from my prior posts, this was not in any way a political statement.

BUT MUH RIGHTS!!

Jim, jetmechmarty and grizld1 like this.
  6. buzzword

buzzword XS650 Addict

BINGO.

I do wish we could have a straightforward discussion on politics, but it's impossible to do so in 2020 without both sides trying to be right rather than responsible.

edit: For me, my alignment to any measure of "politics" can be boiled down to whether human lives and intrinsic equal treatment thereof are considered first - and any other sociocultural construct has to follow that. If anything is given higher priority, I tend to be opposed to it ;)

Just watched The Social Dilemma on Netflix - irrespective of one's political leanings, it's absolutely frightening what the tech industry has done to divide the world. Highly recommend watching it.

Also, chili cheese fritos are the superior frito flavor. Change my mind!

7. jetmechmarty

I love this rabbit hole!
    Fritos are made from corn. Corn is a GMO crop. Corn is bad, Fritos are worse. Change my mind!
    https://www.nongmoproject.org/gmo-facts/ It's science baby!

:thumbsup:

8. buzzword

buzzword XS650 Addict

Totally agree that GMO corn is bad. Also agree that roundup is bad. Any non-heirloom cultivars are GMO by definition, and I'm not typically concerned with them on a wholesale basis since cross-pollination has been happening since the dawn of time. That said, the corn thing is particularly egregious in light of how they have the entire corn industry (and really the world...) in a stranglehold. When you GM an O so that it cannot produce its own seed, and only works with certain herbicides and pesticides to yield productive crops, that's a problem. Monsanto has some 'splainin to do!

9. jetmechmarty

As for me, I don't want glyphosphates in my body. If GMO labeling was required in the US, I would not consume any of it. Look down those rows of cotton, soybeans, and corn. There are no weeds. There is only bare soil between those corn plants. Much of that bare soil ends up in the Mississippi. Bare soil doesn't absorb water very well and we wonder why we have flooding. With our science, we are so smart. We can outsmart Mother Nature! Or, can we?

10. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict

Ireland
    Kind of reminds me of a question a lawyer posed to me to illustrate a point.
    "If you assault a man in the street by bashing him over the head, and he dies as a direct result of that, is it murder or manslaughter? The thing is, the victim had an unusually thin skull so would have died from a blow that would not have killed a normal person."
    The point he was making was a bit convoluted about intent. Bashing someone over the head intends to cause them harm, but merely knocking someone over by accident and they bash their head on the pavement or a protruding park bench and they die, is entirely different.
    I reckoned that intent was the important part, but he, surprisingly said it's of no real importance - you run the risk of killing just about anyone because you don't know how weak or feeble they actually are, and a murder charge stands a good chance of conviction.
    Point I'm trying to make here, is that if somebody dies from Covid and wouldn't otherwise have died if they'd been Covid-free, in my book that's a Covid victim.

11. jetmechmarty

Since we're not splitting hairs over this in court, I have to agree. The Mississippi Health Dept lists them as "Covid related deaths." That's true enough. To me, if I have covid and die in a motorcycle accident or get shot in a mugging, that's not a covid related death. If I have T2 diabetes and get covid and die, it is a covid related death. It seems clear enough to me.

12. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

To me the answer is simple. If they had not of got COVID would they most likely be alive today.

13. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

As a perspective, covid related deaths.........186,000 active duty US Marines........196,000 covid related deaths.

I'm very thankful I live in a country where the science is listened to and used as a tool to implement procedures to save lives over the economy........ Economy will rebound, lives lost don't.

what is the long term economic affect from a lingering pandemic that is out of control, especially when we are still learning about the long-term affects, (health leading to economic) to those who have contracted covid, when some, it seems may take years to recover

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    kshansen, TwoManyXS1Bs, GLJ and 5 others like this.
  14. 650Skull

Some interesting figures i come across.....not fact checked

American Civil War. 5 yrs. 655,000 deaths. 449/day
    World War II. 5 yrs. 405,000 deaths. 297/day
    World War I. 2 yrs. 117,000 deaths. 200/day
    Korean War. 4 yrs. 37,000 deaths. 30/day

Covid-19. 195 days. 195,000 deaths ~1000/day

15. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Q. How many legs does a dog have if I call the tail a leg?
    A. Four. A tail is not a leg.

16. 650Skull

I think you hit the tail on the leg................

If the science it taken away from the facts, the a tail can be what ever someone wants to call it...........

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...erna-pfizer?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc#4ldqpgc
    Moderna’s protocol, as first reported by the New York Times, suggests that analysis of the vaccine data would not begin until December at earliest, with more solid conclusions projected by spring 2021. Pfizer’s blueprint suggests a six-month timeline to complete its trial, but the first of four interim assessments to see whether its vaccine is at least 30% effective — or a failure — would happen after its first 32 volunteers test positive for COVID-19. Under the protocol’s assumption that 1.3% of volunteers in the placebo group will get sick, that would take about five weeks from the time the last volunteer is enrolled. The FDA is requiring that coronavirus vaccines be at least 50% effective.

17. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi buzz,
    anyone who is hit by a train will most likely be seriously injured or killed.
    A person with T2 Diabetes, COPD or any other condition that weakens their constitution &/or makes them less nimble
    is less likely to survive the collision or to jump off the track to avoid the train so, it's a combination of both and yes you were.

18. WideAWAKE

WideAWAKE Single Fins and Twin Cylinders

when I was a kid the baseball snack shack sold “Chili Billy’s” - Fritos covered with chili, cheese and onions.

I still eat em every time I go camping.

And I know what your eating for dinner tonight!

Greyandridin and gggGary like this.
  19. buzzword

buzzword XS650 Addict

in Texas, that’s a frito pie - gotta add avocado, tomato, jalapeño, sour cream, etc.

20. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi Wide,
    when I was a teenager back 'ome every second corner store was a fish & chip shop full of stainless steel deep fryers
    and run by grim middle-aged ladies in white lab coats.
    One by one they were taken over by Chinese people so "Fred's Fish & Chips" became "Wong's Golden Dragon."
    Same stainless steel deep fryers, Same fish & Chips. Chinese food also available.
    The grim middle-aged ladies in white lab coats were now Chinese and one of the deep fryers now had curry sauce in it.
    The chippy's least costly item, a paper cone of French fries, now had the option of a scoop of curry sauce poured atop it.
    A good way to commit cholesterolcide.