1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Corona Virus COVID-19

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gggGary, Feb 28, 2020.

1. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    The governor has been threatening measures if we hit 6% positivity rate. Maybe shut 'er down again. We're 0.02 away today.

gggGary likes this.
  2. buzzword

buzzword XS650 Addict

my state has a 65mph speed limit on I-5 but wouldn’t you know it, 192 people still died in speed-related accidents in 2019!!

correlation is not causation.

Jim, jetmechmarty and GLJ like this.
  3. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yep. I do believe we had this discussion. Masks don't work worn on the chin. Of that, I think we can be sure.

Jim, buzzword and GLJ like this.
  4. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Excerpt from Politico, 10-28-20, the president Trumps hand picked coronavirus czar.

Adm. Brett Giroir, the Trump administration’s coronavirus testing czar, on Wednesday contradicted President Donald Trump’s claim that surging coronavirus caseloads in the United States were the result of expanded testing for the disease.

“We do believe and the data show that cases are going up. It’s not just a function of testing,” Giroir said in an interview on NBC’s “Today” show. “Yes, we’re getting more cases identified, but the cases are actually going up. And we know that, too, because hospitalizations are going up.”

Jim, buzzword, gggGary and 3 others like this.
  5. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

So, what will be the reaction? Will it be heavy handed across the board lockdowns and closures? Is that the way to go. I hope not. The economic distress is also very costly. My folks are old and limit themselves to doctor visits, pharmacy, and groceries. So far, so good.

Jim, GLJ and gggGary like this.
  6. buzzword

buzzword XS650 Addict

I would hope not too, but there's enough evidence to support the idea that heavy-handed lockdowns actually help. Not worth sacrificing the vulnerable on the altar of capitalism and "normalcy". If there's one thing that's show itself to be true during this time and others, most Americans have a very short memory, and a patent unwillingness to "suffer" even in small ways for the sake of their fellow man. If we could be diligent about masks, social and physical distancing, and not selfishly violating the protocols that have been proven to work globally, I'd be willing to bet the time horizon on this thing losing its groundswell would be drastically foreshortened. Problem is, we won't.

Glad your folks are taking good care.

Jim, GLJ and gggGary like this.
  7. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

I don’t know what the good answer is. I posted that just because it’s one of the presidents favorite lines, that has never rung true to me, and now his own man confirms it. I really hate the politics of all this, if our nation had taken a more cohesive, unified approach, I really do think we would be in a much different situation now. I don’t enjoy debating politics so I’m stepping back into “ read only mode” again.
    Mailman out!
    97BF72F3-72A4-4B06-A669-B81DE82C8B32.jpeg

Rasputin, Greyandridin, Jim and 2 others like this.
  8. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

9. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

I look at that every morning. Lot of interesting information. Plus links to every state and quite a few other countries.
    Oct 1st average 712
    Oct 14th average 720
    Oct 28th average 813
    101 more a day in 4 weeks 14% increase
    Something's going on.

State to the north of me in the same time period went from 12 to 71 a day.
    upload_2020-10-28_11-31-5.png

My state doing a little better 21 to 49 a day.
    upload_2020-10-28_11-33-23.png

Jim and gggGary like this.
  10. xjwmx

U.S.A.
    Yes. The study or at least the report is missing data about compliance, and how much of urban lack or spread is due to antibodies already there, and stuff that wouldn't occur to me, plus you always need a control group to be a real experiment. Enough people see it's flawed that it's the kind of thing that causes distrust

buzzword and gggGary like this.
  11. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Maybe you should call KU and tell 'em their world class people are doing flawed studies. Maybe you could even give 'em some pointers on the correct way to do it. You know... for the good of us all. I'm sure that would help them immensely and they'd be eternally grateful for your wisdom. :rolleyes:

12. xjwmx

U.S.A.
    Some of us have run experiments in our professional lives too... But what I called it on is basic stuff that everybody should know and understand. But it could be the reporting that is flawed -- a student newspaper with no link to an actual study that I noticed.

But the takeaway is not what you seemed to think. Probably half the states have mask mandates and are increasing. Probably WI.

gggGary likes this.
  13. xjwmx

U.S.A.
    For awhile what T said was true, probably is not now and possibly he hasn't said it recently and NBC is playing gotcha as usual instead of being useful. But like you're saying what are you going to do and what should leaders actually say. Another person high up in the admin is talking about it's just going to have to blast through, which is probably right, he's in a better position to know than us, so in that case why cower? Why not a leader that says get up and go.

jetmechmarty likes this.
  14. gggGary

Greyandridin, Jim and xjwmx like this.
  15. xjwmx

U.S.A.
    KU should probably be considered a superspreader event itself if it's in session :) Nine months there with a mask is probably a worse spreader than a week with no mask at Sturgis...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    lakeview and gggGary like this.
  16. xjwmx

U.S.A.
    Here was a recommended story on that page. What a great trip! And what a great time to do it. I didn't know you could do it anymore, because of all the locks.
    https://wkow.com/2020/10/28/couple-to-sail-from-wisconsin-to-florida/

gggGary likes this.
  17. gggGary

https://wkow.com/2020/10/28/uw-to-resume-covid-19-vaccine-trials-next-week/
    “We are thrilled to be back. These extensive reviews show that experts have the best interest of the public at heart,” said Dr. William Hartman, principal investigator for the trial and an assistant professor of anesthesiology. “A single patient out of 20,000 worldwide developed an unexplained illness and the trial was halted. They took the time to figure out the safety. The system works.”
    trial halted from Sep 6th to Oct 28th

Meanwhile:
    GlobalData Epidemiologist Report: Global Covid cases pass 43.1 million – more than 8.6 million in US
    26th Oct 2020
    "Globally, the total confirmed cases of Covid-19 have reached over 43,174,000, with more than 1,155,000 deaths "

Jim and Greyandridin like this.
  18. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

The testing czar, Adm. Giroir said this morning that we are only using about 1/3rd of our testing capacity. With cases increasing just about everywhere, you'd think we'd be using all of it and asking for more. Controlling the spread means finding the spread... that means testing. Capacity implies ability. If we have the ability, why aren't we?

https://www.today.com/video/coronav...61631?playlist=mmlsnnd_todayarchiveswednesday

GLJ and Greyandridin like this.
  19. gggGary

Because we can't just round people up and force them to get tested?
    Or at least those in government that are looking to get elected again aren't going to vote for that.
    "In China, a mass testing program of approximately 5 million people in the Xinjiang province identified nearly 140 asymptomatic cases over the weekend."