1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Corona Virus COVID-19

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gggGary, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Bewarethemoon

Bewarethemoon XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

We officially shut down today in a work capacity, all purchase orders from commercial clients ceased unless deemed dangerous. All domestic works suspended out of respect for the current conditions.

On statutory sick pay (£80 p/week) until anybody can make head or tail of how to actually claim the governments offer of 80% of employed staffs wages.

I guess we’ll have to wait until Boris’s latest announcement later to know more.

Uncertain times!

Stay safe all and look after your fellow man.

Daniel.

2. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

Just back from Walmart. Picked up a few things,coffee, honey, Slim Jims and beer. Not a lot of people in the store.
    I'm not hoarding beer. I like to think of it as increasing my beer reserves.
    Store looked pretty normal. There was even TP on the shelves. I think in my area the panic buying is mostly over.
    So far for me my daily routine is pretty normal. I do miss going to the local bar a couple of times a week. Since I'm semi-retired I'm used to being home.Thankfully I have my shop to play with bikes in.
    Stay safe and healthy.

3. timbeck

timbeck XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter

Hey Guy's---RIDE SAFE----THE ORIGINAL SOCIAL DISTANCING.......

tim

4. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

9008BACE-4DC6-4382-A369-A89F13EF1590.jpeg

The man had tablets on hand that he used for treating his Koi fish. They are used for treating infections in aquariums. He and his wife each took a tablet and both became very ill in about 30 minutes after ingesting them.
    A Dr. said that while the ingreadients were structurally the same as the chloroquine used to treat malaria, the tablets were much higher dosage. They each took the equivalent of 3X the recommended dosage. They got the idea off of the internet.

MaxPete, thuban, Greyandridin and 4 others like this.
  5. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” Stephen Hawking
    Where did I read that?

MaxPete, thuban, Greyandridin and 7 others like this.
  6. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict

Ireland
    You can't cure stupid, but often it cures itself.

7. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

The daily briefing here in the US is where we're supposed to get the facts regarding this virus. This would normally be a excellent way to disseminate accurate information. Sadly, that has not turned out to be the case. So here's a thought.... how about we turn that briefing over to the CDC ONLY. I'd much prefer it was the doctors and scientists running the show and offering useful accurate information versus.... you know... what's happening instead.

Untitled.png

8. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Michigan
    Exactly, should be Dr. Fauci, the Surgeon General and folks from CDC doing those briefings...period

JAX71224, MaxPete, kshansen and 4 others like this.
  9. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Wait...wait... the Darwin effect at work here?.... :umm:

Greyandridin and Marlin72xs like this.
  10. There was no TP at the Oakwood, GA Walmart at 7AM, today. Son of a nutcracker!

11. FLEA

FLEA XS650 Junkie

have a look on ebay .. bidet conversions are fairly cheap .. and may solve t/p problems long term .. they bolt straight on a normal toilet

12. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

An interesting tool, predictor. . They've been on several national news shows.
    https://healthweather.us/
    While social distancing Sunday we picked up garbage out of local ditches.
    Talked to a guy (kept 6' away) that had a bunch of ash trees down and in his front yard (since last fall) Take it! he said. :geek: Yesterday and today we cut, split, loaded, and stacked in the racks 2 cords of Ash firewood. 'Bout another cord to go. Man this social distancing is hard work!

20200323_123149.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  13. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I watched a clip about these web thermometers about a week ago. This is cutting edge stuff.... tracking temp spikes in real time. This looks like something that needs mainstreaming.

14. Goldenboy

Goldenboy . XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I woke @ 5 am and went to the local grocer,Stop&Shop. They have special hrs for 60 and over from 6 am to 730 am. I brought a big list as I emptied the fridge before we left for Fla, and when we got home the hoarders took all the meat and paper products and cleaning products, too. I was 5th into the store and they leave a certain amount of things on the shelf and you're allowed 2 of each item. I went to paper first and only took one pack of toilet paper instead of hogging two, then meat and fish, then fruit and veggies. Half the people wore masks. Everyone looked nervous and kept their distance. I have some surgi masks I bought last fall to do yard work ( I'm allergic to grass and mold), but after watching "Front Line" last night it confirmed my beliefs that this is spread like TB and using a mask is not necessary. The doctor being interviewed from Langone Medical Center in NY said they now believe coronavirus is spread in three ways; by getting too close to an infected person, by being in a closed environment for an extended period of time with an infected person and by touching a surface contaminated by an infected person who is coughing or sneezing, and blowing their nose, then putting your hand on your face. You should avoid commom surfaces; hand rails, door knobs, and use hand sanitizers. The doctor did not seem to believe it was very easy to become infected by briefly passing someone in a grocery aisle or touching the same object, if it did not contain droplets, and touching your face. Yet, to confuse the issue, there was a report, today that one of the cruise ships which quarantined passengers for weeks and had 750 positive cases on board was found to have corona virus on surfaces 17 days after the passengers debarked and before it was decontaminated. (That sounds like a death knell for cruises) Back to shopping, I figured the best way to get in and out of checkout in the shortest time with a full basket (you don't want to go in and out for knick knacks every day) is to unload one cart on the belt and load another with your purchases on the other end without bagging. I left boxes in my van and organized everything at my leisure outside the store and away from the angry mob behind you in the check out line.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    JAX71224, MaxPete, Marlin72xs and 8 others like this.
  15. Mailman

A little follow up on our online grocery shopping experience,
    My wife sat in her recliner a couple nights ago and took her time shopping on her IPad. They tell you what windows of time are available for pickup and you choose one. Today before that time had arrived, my wife gets an email, “we are pulling your order right now.” You respond when you’re on your way to get your order. When you get there, you pull into the designated spot, they were busy. A kid that worked there asked my wife for her name and he ran in the store and came right out with it. You sign for it and drive away. The whole exchange took five minutes. They weren’t able to fill three items that we asked for, because we specified certain brands. In the future we would allow them to make substitutions on things that aren’t critical.
    Compare that to last week when we walked around inside a crowded store for 40 minutes , then stood in a long line to check out for another 20 minutes. My wife says we have a winner!
    There’s no charge for this service. We will probably stick with this until things get better.

MaxPete, Marlin72xs, thuban and 8 others like this.
  16. madmax-im

madmax-im Yamaha...Go your own way... XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Dont forget when you're filling your gas tank with the cheapest gas in 20 yrs..to wear a glove at the pump... Our Walmart has been restocked daily so shelves are fairly well stocked..7 a.m is when we go...its not a mob scene..

17. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Went to town for my usual bi-monthly re-provisioning.

Don't go to town much, curious to see if anything's different.

Traffic is way down. The usual touristy-crowded town is eerily vacant and quiet. Only a couple of folks strolling on the now-visible sidewalks. Tourist-trap stores closed, with warning signs everywhere. They're taking it pretty seriously here.

The entire front of the grocery store is blockaded with barrels and shopping carts. A narrow entryway at one spot, manned by watchful eyes.

We're herded thru a narrow corridor to a sterilization corral. A de-lousing area where we're sanitized, sterilized, de-loused, de-wormed, castrated, and branded. Then, released into the store.

Kinda makes sense.
    This *is* cattle country.

Inside, the shelves are roughly 1/2 filled, anti-hoarding signs everywhere. Unhealthy snack foods pretty much thinned out, but plenty of keto-friendly offerings.

Except for eggs.
    Dangit, wiped-out. No eggs...

Paul Sutton, MaxPete, gggGary and 8 others like this.
  18. Mailman

Frys grocery stores here ( a subsidiary of Kroger ) have announced they are installing plexiglass shields to separate the cashiers from the unwashed heathens. It’s a very good idea actually, I feel sorry for anyone working in a service industry that simply can’t avoid contact with hundreds of people daily.
    A couple weeks ago , the last time I went into a store, I was getting some meat from the deli counter and I asked the woman working behind the counter how she was holding up and she just about broke down and cried. She was so stressed out. Poor woman.

Paul Sutton, MaxPete, thuban and 7 others like this.
  19. madmax-im

madmax-im Yamaha...Go your own way... XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

We had an excellent foray to wally world..All dairy products plentiful..including eggs...some breads...burgrs meats..ground beef plenty of BACON!!!!..Most important to me is my prescript for Vitamin D 50000 IUs once a week...Vitamin D is key to a healthy immune system...Walmart pharmacy had plenty of that too...:D