1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Corona Virus COVID-19

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gggGary, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Jack

Jack XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

My county where I live was put on lock down for unessential businesses,so I had to go to Lowes for some fertilizing supplies for my business and it was just as crowed as any normal day, some people just ignore the message of staying home to prevent catching this virus and spreading it further. If we're gonna defeat this virus,people need act rationally on how their careless actions might effect the well being of others. I got what supplies I needed for a month and I'll be staying at the house, these are some scary times we're facing, particularly for me with my medical conditions and age. Be safe guys!

2. Jack

Jim I'm just going by what I heard on the news today, unless some information on his cause of death was left out, which is possible or I could of misunderstood it,which I could have.

3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

No worries Jack. Didn't think you made it up. ;)

Greyandridin, gggGary and Paul Sutton like this.
  4. David Toll

David Toll Reliving my youth?

Just got back from the supermarket - felt uncomfortable the whole time - masks, gloves and metres. Plenty of food but do you want to handle it? Traffic is down and sanitiser has become the new hip flask. My neighbour came over and invited me to play 9 holes this afternoon. He's going stir crazy already. I thanked him but said no. I'm not paranoic and I'm too old for hysteria but, like Jack and so many others here have said, it's time to take this shit seriously.

5. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Michigan
    He's talking about the youngsters but applies to a lot of the so called "adults" out there...

Jim likes this.
  6. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Message is seriously compromised by the messenger.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    MaxPete, ThatXS650Guy and gggGary like this.
  7. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

8. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

Kind of a disturbing graph. The death rate seems to be going up. I realize with the lack of testing that this is not very accurate and is probable much lower. To me it says if you get it and get sick enough to seek medical help your in trouble. Up until a few weeks ago the reported cases were mostly people who showed symptoms and went to a Doctor. I would have thought that by now with the increase in testing the rate would be dropping. Maybe in a week or two it will.

upload_2020-3-28_7-57-26.png
    upload_2020-3-28_8-4-11.png

9. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Buckhorns on XV1000SE Top Contributor

I have stopped looking at daily confirmed cases figures because the rational behind who gets tested is changing as the days go by. I assume the daily death rate data to be acceptable/reliable. Yesterday the UK had 181 deaths which puts us behind Italy by 2 weeks if both countries can be directly compared?? As we end our 1st week of restrictions we hope to see a decrease in death rates, but this may take another 2 weeks to be sure.

Big Question: How did Boris get infected?

10. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

In Syracuse, NY, despite the request/order for social distancing, people have been congregating in the city's parks to play basketball, during a stretch of very spring-like weather. The Mayor's solution was to send crews to the parks and remove the hoops from the backboards. What a spoilsport! What a meanie! What a (potential) life saver! How do you beat it into stupid people's heads it's for their own (and the rest of the population's) damned good? Also, people are crowding the nearby state parks to "tailgate" in large numbers, and "hitting the links", trespassing (come on people, they're closed, and you're not paying greens fees?) at local golf courses. Law enforcement is starting to crack down, of course, after the fact....

Greyandridin, MaxPete, Grimly and 4 others like this.
  11. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Another Hollyweird POS. Check out his other "messages". This guy is deranged.
    What makes these morons think we care what someone who plays dress up and pretend for a living has to say? They wear what they are told to wear, stand where they are told to stand and spout lines written by someone else.

12. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I'm going for a walk. With my wife. We'll get some vitamin D. Everyone else, please stay ten feet away. NYT reports eight cases in my county. There's a lot of it where I work, but none reported among employees. It's very scary stuff.

13. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict

Ireland
    Salty language, for those of you delicate flowers who might not like that.

thuban, MaxPete and Paul Sutton like this.
  14. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I received the following from my chiropractor. I think it's pretty good advice, so I'm putting it here on this random social media.

Hello,

Today I wanted to speak about the wild and crazy myths spreading around about the COVID 19 virus.

It’s important to be able to understand the virus as much as we can so we can make good decisions about our personal safety.

We believe random social media is not the best way to get your information, so today we are debunking the “ random Social media is the best source of accurate information” myth.

We know it’s tough to not get caught up in the whirl of posts and “news” coming at you, especially now that many people are home more.

We are curious by nature, nothing wrong with that, however, add fear to that and it’s like being out in the middle of the ocean without a boat looking for a life raft.

Anything to cling to in a storm.

We suggest getting your COVID 19 news from reputable sources. We typically go to The World Health Organization website, https://www.who.int, and https://www.cdc.gov/

Occasionally we find a reputable scientific article that is helpful and we are currently adding those to the emails we are sending out.

If you are wondering about something you read and wonder if it’s a myth, send us the information and we will be happy to vet it and send it out in our debunking COVOD 19 myths emails.

In our next email in 2 days, we will be talking about the future and the things we are doing to prepare for it.

In the meantime, stay safe and healthy!

Clay Morton, DC​

15. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

From the CDC.
    Most of the states that have a lot of cases have major international airports.
    upload_2020-3-28_11-27-2.png

16. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Just watched Cuomo's daily briefing for the situation in N.Y.. Facts and figures... presented in a coherent logical format... complete with Powerpoint.
    Answering reporters questions instead antagonizing them. If you want a model for how a daily briefing should be done, here it is.

17. Jack

He went to the hospital with the Corona symptoms and was told he was negative ,then released and later died. Turns out he was positive with the virus.
    There have been a few cases near me where people who sought testing where turned away because they had no medical insurance to cover the cost of testing. When you have millions of people out of work, this type of practice is unacceptable and the cost should be waived on the citizens of the USA during this time of crisis.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  18. Jack

As a former upstate NY citizen I have the up most respect for Governor Cuomo's. He should be running the Corona Virus task force distribution.

19. thuban

thuban Horse Scratcher XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I don't believe, the U.S. government or any one speaking for it, is going to tell you the truth or say a word, about a half mile wide asteroid centering up of the State of Kansas, to impact in 24 hours; or two months for that matter. I don't believe "they" would say one word about Yellowstone fixing to blow it's top.
    On-line business, you can think of a few, is big business! Would they tell you the items your receiving from all over the world, may very well be carrying virus?
    What would that do to the economy? What about our mail service so vital to, well, everything. ( Trivia, Mt. Pleasant, Mt. Olive...There are no mountains there. "Mt." in front of a city name means where the pony express could get a fresh mount back in the old days.) So I don't believe they are going to tell me "It's on my blanket" so to speak. I can't do anything about an Asteroid or Yellowstone so why tell me? Ignorance is bliss. Not to me it's not. I want to know so I can sit down, get a beer and a cigar, and watch the greatest show on earth! This virus I can do something about, wash my hands, stay at home, running things I get from Amazon, E-bay, post office and the like, thru a bleach spritz, when practical. They are not saying much, if you ask me. But, they are going after this virus like the little bug on the blanket and It has been around for thousands of years. There is still not a cure for that little bug but vaccination took it out of the wild.
    If I get this, it will probably be cause I got it from the wife. She works with the public. Me panic? No way in hell. It makes you drop your reloads. Take care of the small stuff. The big stuff takes care of it's self.
    Thu

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020