1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Corona Virus COVID-19

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gggGary, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Michigan
    It's that "L" word that everybody's afraid of...LOGIC. Seems to be a lot of it missing these days

2. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yeah well.... maybe they should all get out of the way and let the grumpy old master sgt's do what they do best. Generals give orders... it's the Sergeants that get the job done.

Greyandridin, Mailman, thuban and 4 others like this.
  3. David Toll

David Toll Reliving my youth?

A "larrikin" is a person with disregard for convention - a maverick or a boisterous, often badly behaved young man. Take your pick Pete.
    Our officials handed out cake and coffee while two thousand odd passengers from the "Ruby Princess" disembarked in Sydney harbour. Sydney now has the highest incidence of Corona virus in the country. Coincidence? God, who knows? I can tell you that most Australians are negative to having cruise ships disembark in their town - even if the passengers are Aussies. I am ashamed to admit it but I think I agree; no I don't; yes I do! Fuck it! I don't know. If we could do what Jim is suggesting, I'd drive a bus to deliver the passengers into care but our leaders aren't even considering those options. I love that poem on the Liberty lady, first time I've read it but how can I appreciate such sentiments in the face of such un-Australian behaviour. These are hard times gentlemen!

4. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

Depends on if the finger is done literally............would be worse than a handshake for some :redface:

Greyandridin, Paul Sutton and gggGary like this.
  5. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
  6. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I write replies to some of these posts and then delete them to keep the peace. This thread is supposed to avoid politics...

7. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict

Ireland
  8. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I’ll take this one David - thanks,

Pete.

Greyandridin and gggGary like this.
  9. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

That’s a good practice Jim - Post #738 has been edited with my apologies for the intemperate remarks.

Pete

Greyandridin and ThatXS650Guy like this.
  10. David Toll

David Toll Reliving my youth?

Good choice Pete and, from my experience of your attitude, appropriate.
    Yes, ThatXS650Guy, our wives, religion and politics, forbidden subjects! That's what my old man told me and at times like this, (or any time for that matter), he was probably correct. Apologies if my frustration gets the better of me at times.

11. thuban

thuban Horse Scratcher XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Respectfully, The United States Military SHOULD NOT be used in CONUS, Period. That is what the states National Guard is for. Any military intervention should be under control of the Guard/Governor.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  12. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Respectfully noted. But that ship has sailed... no pun intended.... to NY and LA. Both hospital ships are crewed by active duty Marine and Navy troops. If we can use them in an emergency like this, I see no reason not to employ our quite large Medivac community also.

13. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Greyandridin, Paul Sutton and Jim like this.
  14. gggGary

The Military's prime directive is to deter attacks from OUTSIDE the country. This is not beyond the realm of possibility, especially if others see it as having been heavily compromised from performing it's primary mission.

mumble mumble mumble delete.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Greyandridin, thuban, MaxPete and 2 others like this.
  15. Jim

Task Force Katrina in 2005 involved over 400 active duty and reserve aircraft from all branches and about 75,000 active duty troops from all branches. So using active duty military personnel for humanitarian reasons isn't new.

16. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

Not a big fan of active duty military being deployed inside our borders. To easy for things to change drastically. With that said sometimes you have to do what has to be done.

17. gggGary

Jim what'da think about the Roosevelt?

18. gggGary

Fauci: Tell us to stomp on the brake, NOT the accelerator.

MaxPete and Jim like this.
  19. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

The military presence has to have clearly defined objectives.

gggGary, MaxPete and Jim like this.
  20. Jim

I think they need to get them off that ship. It's in port. That the didn't have a plan to evacuate that ship when it arrived in port tells you all you need to know about how ill prepared we were for this. There's currently a few cases on the Ronald Reagan too. I suspect it will get just as ugly as the Roosevelt.