1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Corona Virus COVID-19

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gggGary, Feb 28, 2020.

1. JCE

JCE XS650 Enthusiast

CA, USA
    Curcumin, Fenugreek, Fisteln and Beta Glucan.

2. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Dang it.
    I was already cocked and loaded.
    Blame.jpg

After all that chemo and 2 bone-marrow-transplants long ago, the docs told me that I now have a compromised immune system and no immunizations. They told me to relocate and avoid cities and crowds. Essentially people.

I've been in a somewhat "reverse quarantine" for almost 20 years now.

Feel rather safe out here in this rural setting.
    HCRide-20180505_2.jpg

About a dozen years or so ago, I spent some time with an ol' Apache medicine man. He told me about the ancient Mesoamerican practice of burning "Copal", claims to purify the air. So, I had a smudgepot of that stuff going during the winter. Didn't catch any colds or flu.

What is Copal Resin
    https://www.incense-incense.com/copal-resin-s/283.htm

Botanical Incense/Resins :: Aromatherapy
    https://www.plantopiagifts.com/x/Incenses/

Aromatics for Congestion, Colds and Flu — The Northwest School of Aromatic Medicine
    https://aromaticmedicineschool.com/aromatics-congestion-colds-flu/

Then, for modern white man, there's good ol' Lysol...

Preventing the Flu Throughout the Day | Lysol(R)
    https://www.lysol.com/cold-flu/cold-flu/preventing-the-flu-throughout-the-day/

5 ways to combat flu in your home - CNN
    https://www.cnn.com/2013/11/15/health/flu-virus-home/index.html

MaxPete, Jim, Paul Sutton and 3 others like this.
  3. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Got room for me and my chihuahua? :geek: We like Texas BBQ!
    73047E71-3479-40F6-9F7A-EF09842F78DA.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    MaxPete, Jim, Paul Sutton and 3 others like this.
  4. Wordman

Wordman XS650 Enthusiast

We're up to 71 cases and 1 death. France has shut down the Louvre, and Italy is up to 1,128 cases and 29 deaths. I pray this is not the calm before the storm, but I don't think the odds are in our favor. Be smart, wash your hands a lot, and let's see what happens. Hopefully, in two months we'll be laughing about how we dodged the bullet.

MaxPete, Jim, TwoManyXS1Bs and 3 others like this.
  5. xjwmx

xjwmx It's just the unknown. Top Contributor

U.S.A.
    when is the california "flu season"? i guess it coincides with the school year, not so much to do with weather?

gggGary likes this.
  6. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

On ebay at the moment there seem to be a lot of good bargains from China, but I have been told I am not to make any orders! Life is tough sometimes.

Have people started building up emergency food supplies in the US yet?

Also, I checked an old bottle of Detol Kitchen Spray and it states it is 99.9% effective against Coronavirus.

MaxPete, gggGary and Jim like this.
  7. xjwmx

U.S.A.
    ^latest from cdc is packages from china are okay

"In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods."

but when i got my zennis a couple of days ago, i'll admit out of an abundance of caution i opened everything carefully and swabbed it down with alcohol, then washed my hands...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

gggGary likes this.
  8. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

Thanx xjwmx, I do not feel so guilty about my new lathe tools. They came from a warehouse in the UK so had plenty of time to self-sterilise.

MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  9. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Well that's all well and good "IF" the guys on the container ship don't happen to have been infected when they unloaded the ship!

MaxPete and lakeview like this.
  10. Wordman

Wordman XS650 Enthusiast

It'll be the guy on the other side of the counter who's contagious, but not yet showing symptoms, that'll get ya.

MaxPete, gggGary and lakeview like this.
  11. mike in idaho

mike in idaho XS650 Enthusiast

The governor of washington state declared a state of emergency, because of one case of coronavirus. Apparently that's a big deal. Having thousands of unvaccinated illegal aliens coming across our southern border every day, that's not a big deal?

12. xjwmx

U.S.A.
    at walmart today the clerk was using a bottle of hand sanitizer on her hands frequently, don't know if it's policy

gggGary likes this.
  13. Wordman

Wordman XS650 Enthusiast

Bringing unvaccinated persons into a vaccinated society isn't likely to cause much, if any, of an outbreak.

A disease that spread person to person by those who have no idea they have the disease, is a big deal.

MaxPete, gggGary, Jim and 1 other person like this.
  14. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

In town today for supplies and such.
    The normal touristy traffic and crowds is down about 50%.
    No shortages anywhere.
    I rather like it...

MaxPete, gggGary, GLJ and 1 other person like this.
  15. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Guru Top Contributor

And what about the thousands of anti-vaxxers that have been going around for years in this country?

MaxPete, gggGary, xschris and 2 others like this.
  16. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

"Coronavirus" includes the common cold. Disinfectants efficacy against the COVID-19 (or Novel Coronavirus) has not yet been proven. But, you can't be too careful....

MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  17. Hightower-Ash98

Hightower-Ash98 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

The main issue is that people are traveling while asymptomatic, while still being able to transmit the disease.
    China's had 1400 "Cured" cases test positive for coronavirus after 14 days.
    That's a problem, all it'll take is one carrier to hop on a plane from Washington state to say, New York City, to infect a few hundred more people.
    Covid-19 also spreads through feces, not something that matters here, but it's in India, where they... You know.
    In the streets.
    Just like LA
    I was but a wee-lad during the last "Pandemic" I have no recollection of it. But watching foreign governing bodies fumble with containing the spread is an amazing inspiration for starting a colony in the middle of the forest. If only there was internet.
    People were stuck on a cruise ship, and we had some jerk up and lie about symptoms to get back to the US, WHILE BEING ABLE TO INFECT EVERYONE ON THE PLANE
    Watch yourselves, because people don't give a damn about others. Hopefully this blows over like all the rest.

18. 2XSive

2XSive At least one screw loose behind the handle bars XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Michigan
  19. Hightower-Ash98

Hightower-Ash98 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

It's in Florida and NYC now.
    Nice knowing ya

Jim and gggGary like this.
  20. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Looks like the cat is out of the bag it's well beyond containment. Death rate in Korea is about one tenth of that in China, but still much higher than that of other flus.
    Read carefully but there is some hope for quick deployment, it won't beat the spread curve.
    Israeli researchers near Covid-19 vaccine development
    https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/israel-migal-covid-19-vaccine/
    Isolation and waiting out vaccine availability, makes sense for high risk individuals? Those apocalypse preppers may look brilliant...

MaxPete, TwoManyXS1Bs, GLJ and 2 others like this.